The Smashing Pumpkins - Rage against the Machina

I’ve honestly never gotten the Pearl Jam comparison. I guess I can understand the singing, but it’s more like he was doing “someone who doesn’t listen to Pearl Jam who is imitating Eddie Vedder” than Eddie Vedder. Musically they were nothing alike at all though.

Stapp was doing a straight up Eddie at his most overwrought and emo impression. I really don’t understand people who say they don’t sound alike musically, particularly on that first album - it’s like they bought the Ten songbook, couldn’t quite play the songs right and so did their own blunt, clumsy cover versions. Then afterwards they thought, “what if blunt Pearl Jam, but shit metal?” And lo, a legend was born.

Sources: lifelong Pearl Jam fan, father who loved Creed after seeing them at The Big Day Out in '99 and has played them during every car journey and at every party ever fucking since.

1 Like

I think the shit metal thing is what keeps me from hearing it. Pearl Jam felt so much more energetic and propulsive, whereas Creed was more chugging. Maybe the best comparison is a shit metal version of STP’s Core? (I love STP).

I like how post 3000 is probably going to be about Creed.

2 Likes

We are going to listen to Machina. Ur fault for not suggesting an album silly thread

1 Like

I cant believe you guys are going to make me do a reevaluation of that album again

1 Like

They were definitely a much more plodding, leaden rock band then PJ ever were. STP at their most overtly grunge-aping worst isn’t a bad comparison.

They were just like one of the dozens of wannabes signed up just before the grunge bubble burst, only 5 years late and somehow inexplicably popular. One of histories most baffling and tragic tales.

1 Like

You should do all of their b-sides and offcuts. All 10 million of them. In one live blogged sitting.

4 Likes

I’m oot. Felt no desire to return since that fateful day.

Youre weak

2 Likes

I also really, really miss the depth. But at the same time, given that he’s now a religiously-awakened 51 year old dad who went on Infowars to take part in an anti-Hillary Clinton fundraiser and to badmouth Bernie Sanders, this may be a blessing in disguise.

I’ll use 3000 to post one of the most incredible and beautiful songs ever written:

12 Likes

I almost did but didn’t want to risk people thinking the thread was over. There’s so much more work to be done.

1 Like

I’m happy obviously that he’s still going, and I want him to make the music he likes making. But selfishly, I really, really wish he’d tap into his anger and do some sort of hyper-focused Mars Volta-esque long song freak out. Like a pissed off Frances the Mute. It would be such a curveball at this point I actually think he’d receive acclaim for it.

1 Like

Happy 3k everyone

7 Likes

In honor of how this thread got out of hand

2 Likes

Machinaaa, you’ve gotta see her
Go insane and out of your mi-ind

5 Likes

Foooooorrrr the lasssst time

Choon

2 Likes

Guys… im up to try try try and really enjoying the album