The Smashing Pumpkins - Rage against the Machina

It’s quite dull tbh

1 Like

Not entirely confident that I’ve heard Disarm (I’m sure I probably have though)

I didn’t recognise it from its title but listened to it a couple of weeks ago. It is good but it’s also peak annoying corgan whiny voicd

I don’t even know if I’ve heard it either. I’ll listen to it later.

• Smashing pumpkins thread
  • My vitriol thread

0 voters

Whiny’s not the right word. That over stressing every single word as if it’s so emotive and important thing

In many ways they’re the same band

1 Like

I wonder if papa m has heard always your way

3 Likes

It’s the one about cutting the little child inside of you

did 1979 even have a video or anything? Only ever heard it from people who liked the smashing pumpkins

lol do it

want to be clear that you should absolutely not do this under any circumstance if one of the main contributors to this thread has expressly stated it would cause them distress.

1 Like

Steve Corgan

1 Like

It’s a very pitchfork review and quite disparaging about corgan himself but it seems bang on the money about the good and not so good songs on machina - the guy has definitely listened to the record. Quite liked Adore despite some fucking awful lyrics, better record than machina.

I think it’s kind of weird that if you join someone’s band, you brag that you don’t know one of their most popular songs.

When I was in Zwan, Billy got so mad at me when he found out I didn’t know any Smashing Pumpkins songs. He would say, “You haven’t heard ‘1979’?” But I didn’t listen to any of that shit when it was breaking. Delta blues was way more exciting to me than the Pumpkins and that whiny voice.

I mean, that’s unquestionably Grade A Snobbery right there. Delta blues, give me a break.
If you look down so much upon someone, maybe don’t join their band? (And don’t spend the duration of your time in that band fucking with that person and running up bills on their tab.)

I think many people (not aimed at you) are reading / misremembering this situation as Billy arrogantly declaring something along the lines of, “He’s never heard 1979??? How can that be, I’m so popular and great!” If Corgan had said that unprompted in an interview, then sure, that’s clearly arrogant. But he didn’t - it’s David Pajo shit-talking Billy in an interview and bragging about how he was more into delta blues.

It really wouldn’t surprise me if the scenario were as simple as Billy responding to Pajo with a confused, “really, you’ve never heard 1979? huh.” after Pajo said he never did. I think I and anyone would do the same if someone joined my band and bragged about not knowing my most famous song.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I’ve actually had nightmares about it.

1 Like

On the one hand, why join the dude’s band if you don’t like him and his voice?

On the other hand, his voice is pretty damn whiny…

Going to call this one a score draw

1 Like

Yep, for awhile you couldn’t get away from it on MTV.

1 Like

Pitchfork reviews can be a massive toss up. Do often they’re weird attacks on an artist rather than the music. A poison pen review of Billy isn’t evidence of much more than membership of a pretty large club TBH.

Again I don’t see how you know he was bragging about it.

Equally I don’t understand why it’s automatically bragging to be into delta blues. Something about that or jazz automatically gets peoples backs up for some odd reason.

We’ve had this exact conversation before and again it’s a ‘what’s on your iPod?’ style interview and he’s specifically talking about the time in the 90s where he was playing folky stuff with Will Oldham so it’s quite believable he might have been listening to a lot of early blues music at home in Kentucky and not really listening to the radio.

I don’t know Pajo’s motives and whether he’s being honest or disingenuous but I find it weird how much you’re able to read into those few lines.