Why is buying dark chocolate so hard?

I’m finding that buying dark chocolate for a girl who has extreme lactose intolerance is a near impossible task! Thought it would be easy as there’s so many choices, yet when turning over the bar and reading the label each one of them either explicitly states that it ‘contains milk extract’ or under the allergies it ‘may contain milk’.

For anyone who eats dark chocolate, can you recommend a bar that doesn’t contain any milk? (does such a thing even exist?)

Green & Black’s Dark Chocolate ones are I reckon.

pretty sure the Lindt 85% ones don’t have any milk

cadburys bornville

montezumas have a few

1 Like

I’d go to Montezumas. I know they sell some Montezumas in Waitrose, but they’ve got a shop in Brighton and it looks like they do online sales too.

1 Like

they have it in Sainos too (Brighton sainos anyway)

1 Like

…but think they have the standard ‘may contain milk’ disclaimer because they’re made in the same factory as their milk chocolate probably.

6 Likes

is this what we’re calling morrisons these days?!

7 Likes

Based in Chichester, so you’ll see quite a lot of it on the South Coast. Good chocolate

1 Like

Thinly veiled ‘I’ve got a girl to buy chocolate for’ post

21 Likes

moonwalks out the room, eating dark chocolate

21 Likes

When it says “may contain traces of milk”, it means there isn’t any milk in there but the ingredients may have been in contact with milk. All/most dark choc bars will say this (usually to legally cover their arses in cases of extreme allergies, I assumed??)

3 Likes

I know, I normally have four bars on the go in the fridge at any point (because their loyalty card gives a stamp if you spend a tenner and the bars are £2.59 each). But they’ve stopped doing Bean Machine!

also check out the section they have in most supermarkets that have gluten free food etc - there will be suitable stuff there

Vegan chocolate bars are the only one that will absolutely 100% no chance at all of having milk in them. Some of them are really quite good BUT cost a small fortune

1 Like

Might still have lactose in them as a sweetener though. Love it when they do that to food that is dairy free. Love it.

1 Like

I find it quite easy

3 Likes

Dark chocolate digestives are good. As are dark chocolate bounties.

Can’t help with your question, sorry.

1 Like

Remember to check that the big bunch of flowers you’re getting to go with the chocolates are also lactose free, btw.

Vegan choc can still carry a ‘may contain traces of milk’ warning. If it’s a brand that only makes vegan choc this is less likely but best to check the allergen info.

@Zygotic i would look in the free from section rather than the chocolate section. Standard dark chocolate is often made on the same production line as milk and my understanding is that when they switch from milk to dark they just flush it through with dark, so there can be (from memory) 0.1%+ milk in there, enough to cause a reaction for someone with an allergy. There’s no set threshold for “dairy-free” i think? But for context to call something gluten-free it has to contain less than 0.002% gluten.

1 Like