Why is Photoshop so fucking unintuitive?

As I am presented, here or there with some design/editing task that causes me to expand my knowledge of Photoshop, I’ve slowly been developing my (very very) minimal photoshop skills. Am starting to get used to using layers, cutting/copying images, using free transform, and whacking in some text to make something resembling posters. There are how-to youtube vids on all kinds of PS stuff that so long as you’ve got a few hours to mess around with, you can usually get by.

So I thought adding an arrow on a map would be a doddle. How fucking wrong was I?

Fucking Photoshop: why can’t I just draw a linen then adjust point size, colour, etc., in the same way that in Word I can type something and then play with the font settings?

Adobe personally want to hurt you and make your life miserable is the only answer I’ve ever come up with. Photoshop is probably the most intuitive and friendly thing they make.

I have actually shouted at the screen before. Aftereffects refuses to import Illustrator files for a start.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=arrow.png&prmd=isvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjDuJbE0LzQAhVqI8AKHRUQDrkQ_AUIBygB

Why shouldn’t it be?

this. I tried out XD was screaming within about 3 minutes

Sounds like something more suited to Illustrator but then that’s even worse for user experience imo

Illustrator might actually be the worst out of them.

Illustrator appears to have been built to break people’s souls

That was meant to be a reply to myself.

Why can’t it just have a colour picker the same as Photoshop’s? That’s my least favourite thing about it

All the things you might want to do are hidden under little drop down arrows or require you to press shift when clicking on things, and it gives you no hints whatsoever.

Adobe don’t want to make it easy for you to change the colours of things in a fucking vector drawing program (also see having to make autotraced things into Livepaint and then expand to be able to change line colours properly for reasons I don’t think anyone understands)

I am seriously considering doing the official photoshop exam at some point because I clearly hate my life.

Also have taught kids how to use Photoshop & Illustrator. It is painful.

I am so glad to see all these replies. I had been a little worried that I’d get nothing but “doing an arrow is a piece of piss, u noob” type posts.

Glad my befuddlement isn’t purely a product of my ineptitude.

I can’t see the image you’ve linked without reading all about the EU’s policy on something, but assuming that you’ve linked to an arrow, I have to agree that this is the most sensible course of action.

If in doubt, google image search it

use these everyday and i still don’t know hoe they work!

:confused:

It’s OK Chris, you’re safe. No-one really knows.

It’s important that we leave indesign alone, however. It sucks, but the alternative was Quark and I immediately get full vertigo when i think about Quark