Why is pop music considered 'worse' than other forms?

the only song of theirs I really know is the one where an angry dude shouts “aaargh shove it shove it shove it!” or something

Try ‘Elite’ it’s way more chilled

3 Likes

Spoken by someone who doesn’t listen to the genre. Yes there is a lot of it shouty but keep your massive generalizations to yourself thanks.

It is the worst.

if it was quiet it wouldn’t be metal, and I’ve heard plenty of it

probably even written some

I was in the O2 store recently getting a new contract, and you have to choose a secret question. I chose ‘favourite band’, obvs.

There was a guy on the next table along going through the same process as me but about 2 minutes behind me.

When he got to the same bit he chose ‘favourite band’ too. The lady serving him asked him what the band was, and I kid you not, after a long pause he said ‘I would have to say… myself’. She said he couldn’t have that so after another long pause he chose Muse.

I nearly died trying not to laugh.

Dunno why I’m posting it here. True story though. The TV was there to witness it!

18 Likes

And my favourite album I would have to say… The best of myself

6 Likes

Would also include Reggaeton

1 Like

Gasolina by daddy Yankee is a fucking tune actually

2 Likes

Was it Matt Bellamy?

5 Likes

Yeah and it’s great. But it’s not the most nuanced of their ouevre. https://youtu.be/sTPn4Jlrjb0

1 Like

I was going to link to Passenger upthread but went for Elite for the lolz

1 Like

this seems like the place to throw in a sweeping generalisation, but why is metal so harshly produced? I feel like i could get into it if so much of it wasn’t literally painful to listen to.

most clearly expressed opinions about music are a bit shit really aren’t they?

like “oh the pop music is so soulless, just corporate NOISE and it’s all made on the COMPUTERS” is just like “alright, granddad, steady on”

but then yer hardcore poptimists always seem like they’ve been brainwashed by a cult or something

5 Likes

these days you get arrested and thrown in jail if you don’t like pop music!

10 Likes

i think indie kids who have just discovered pop music are just very very keen for everyone to know about it

5 Likes

Like other posters have said I very much challenge the notion, your honour…It appears to me (and I am far from an expert in these things) that pop is very much en vogue (unlike the time when…erm… en-vogue were pop) and indie is somewhat looked down on…I am quite a big fan of 80s and 90s pop (as a part-time wedding DJ that helps) but being of a certain age its perhaps fitting that I find less to engage with in the modern charts and prefer indie-rock (and jazz, electronica, folk, reggae, gospel etc etc)…that puts me in the uncool camp which is probably where I deserve to be…at least I won’t be the embarrasing Dad trying to be down with the kids…

Scrolled down for 108 sodding posts thinking “hohoho when I post ‘these days you get arrested and thrown in jail if you don’t like pop music’ it’s going to bring the house down!”. Then pipped at the last second. Cest la vie (B*Witched, great pop)

1 Like

We probably need to start making better use of the sub-genre classification of Just Good Pop Music , so that all the other pop music can languish where it’s meant to, in the Mainstream Pop section.