Why is Sport, or specifically Fotball News, considered actual news?

I have a question. When the radio or telly do news, Sport is always included. Why?

Why does a BBC Sport article occasionally end up in the main News bit?

What makes this one special interest Newsworthy as actual news?

PS this is a baited topic. Let chat fly!

3 Likes

Same reason as art or music or whatever is sometimes

It’s like news dessert, a reward for sitting through the boring stuff.

23 Likes

because the man utd fans cant read the local papers

3 Likes

Because it’s really important for people to hear about those activities so they can falsely derive a sense of achievement from something that had nothing to do with them.

2 Likes

1 Like

Because we’re not Conservatives.

8 Likes

Why does sport, the largest news, not simply eat the other news

22 Likes

It’s a nice break from the absolute shit show reality of the world which you’ve just watched for the previous 20-odd minutes.

Always thought this, it is ridiculous

I don’t have a problem with it being considered news, but it’s funny when sport-loving gammons bust a spleen in the comments section shrieking about how celebrity news isn’t news.

5 Likes

yeah it’s a bit silly really
never understood why some football fans get so defensive about stuff like this

Me either

2 Likes

I don’t understand.

Isn’t it usually called ‘News & Sport’

(emphasis added)

It makes a nice change from the BBC Buzzfeed listicle news ‘items’

They have business news, and a lot of sports teams are essentially businesses, so same thing really. That is… tenuous but I’m posting it anyway.

:grimacing:

think bugduv means unless you’re forking out £150 a month on the full sky sports package and spending £10k a year on season tickets, then you’re not actually working class and are in fact a middle class conservative voter

something like that, i guess?

2 Likes

In Australia the sports section of the news was like 50% of the entire program, total bollocks.