Widespread internet and the influence on your life/mind

WAKE UP SHEEPLE

(Sorry)

On the flipside of the variants of the absolute shite above, I must admit I see a lot of people weirdly dismissive of any effects of one of the biggest general social developments in modern history.

Have you got a compulsion to passively scroll through feeds or whatever?
Do you feel like there’s an impact on your mental health (for better or worse) ?
Is there an effect on your attention span and ability to concentrate? Productivity (either at work or generally?)

etc etc etc.

Christ is that some Paweł Kuczyński shit? As if Assange isn’t a big enough bellend as is.

somehow seems even worse each time I see it

Yeah really tempted to get one of those new old Nokias and ditch the smartphone

Yes massively
Yes massively (not for the better)
Yes massively. Yes massively (both)

strong yes to all 3 questions.
i’m more sensitive to this stuff than most people I think cos of attention deficit issues, think it affects everyone to some degree though.
apps like Offtime are pretty useful if you wanna keep a smartphone but restrict your use, I’ve permanently blocked my browser, twitter, facebook etc. on mine

Have you got a compulsion to passively scroll through feeds or whatever?
no not really?

Do you feel like there’s an impact on your mental health (for better or worse)?
bit o both, net result of zero

Is there an effect on your attention span and ability to concentrate? Productivity (either at work or generally?)
not that wouldn’t be there otherwise, i can bollock myself into paying attention when needed

Nope

thanks for letting me know bbz xx

No
Find the Internet more important for finding out stuff than it does distract me from being productive.
Zero influence on my mental health
What were the other questions?

think the internet has definitely made humans worse

However i now have my back tattoo sorted - thanks

who are the people chopping off heads with the lawnmowers supposed to be?

#forme :

Definitely an addiction. Blearily scrolling through twitter on a morning while my brain’s at 3% and my eyes are barely open. Sitting down to watch a film or telly and without thinking going on my phone or whatever.

Don’t really know what the benefit of it is. Such a tiny proportion of everything I stuff into my brain is enriching or enlightening. Just feels like unnecessary weight.

It’s THE MAN stoopid!! Cantyouseeityet?

Yeah definitely, have no attention span at all anymore, still glad it exists in terms of how it makes it easier to get to know people, and I can combat attention span atrophie if I am strict with myself.

One thing I think about is how I never feel the sensation of true boredom anymore, just restless distraction, think it might be bad as boredom is such a motivating factor

yeah it’s a bit of a weird one. there are things that i’d post about on here and other places that i couldn’t / wouldn’t discuss with people irl. so is it good to have somewhere to vent or is it bad that it robs you of looking for that elsewhere?

dunno lol

Never really thought about the boredom thing but you’ve nailed it there

I’m not really sure. I browse the internet a lot obviously. I’m incredibly unproductive. but I’m not sure if I would be less lazy, apathetic and useless without it, or if I’d just channel it to different, equally inconsequential things.

my attention span is still fine, though I’ve started finding it hard to read when my laptop is on now, so normally read in the morning or when at night when in bed. I can watch lengthy boring films, and so on without a huge amount of effort as well.

aye i much prefer the relative anonymity of talking about banal shit on here. the idea of doing the same thing on fb with someone i know IRL is horrifying.

Ooh this looks good! Brb just gonna spend 45 mins pretending to skim read reviews of producivity apps