Wilco

Brexit Party turns backs on new album

not sure I can bring myself to listen to this after the last couple of albums.

I quite liked The Whole Love and Star Wars, Schmilco was a bit dull though

didn’t get all the way through Schmilco. It was awful. Didn’t think Star Wars was much better apart form Random Name Generator.

Yeah Schmilco was a bit of a slog.

This new song sounds very nice, looking forward to the album. Yay Wilco

Ahh Shmilco was lovely, so loose and relaxed and sweet. That and Star Wars were definitely a better combo than Wilco (The Album) and The Whole Love.

Where Do I Begin and You Satellite from SW are both gorgeous and King of You is kinda unlike anything else they’ve done

2 Likes

Found Sky Blue Sky really boring, haven’t bothered listening to anything they’ve done since.

Am I missing out?

sort of

1 Like

Wilco (The Album), The Whole Love & Star Wars all have great stuff while not being as consistently brilliant as their top tier albums.
I couldn’t connect with Schmilco, found Jeff Tweedy’s solo album last year to be much more satisfying.
I’ve seen them live twice in the past three years & they are a genuinely magnificent live band.
Looking forward to new album (and tour)

Out of these three, which would you recommend I try first?

agreed!

Seeing them do Via Chicago is one of the best live experiences I’ve ever had.

I’d say Star Wars, it’s a bit shorter than the others and the first half is cracking, whole album’s got quite a nice cohesive sound but still varied, some of the lyrics are genuinely quite funny too.

6 Likes

Hoping for a lotto win so I can go to this
https://wilcoskybluesky.com/

3 Likes

I’d go along with this. The last track, Magnetized, is lovely too.

I think Wilco (The Album) is terribly underrated. Bull Black Nova is right up there for me.

2 Likes

It’s proper AOR but I can’t help but love the one with Feist as well.

1 Like

Haven’t enjoyed anything by them since A Ghost is Born. They did set the bar ridiculously high with everything up until then all the same.

meh out of 10 for Love is Everywhere from me.

Every time a new record comes out I think, “ooh, I could actually really do with some decent new Wilco”. And then it isn’t what I’m looking for at all.

1 Like

They’re a bit like the the alt-country Weezer these days aren’t they? Obviously nowhere near as bad, but this is the first album in several where the title of the record alone hasn’t been a bit of a self-referential piss take (unless I’m just not getting this one)

3 Likes