Wild Beasts

That interview contains a lot of flowery explanations from each member (particularly Thorpe/Fleming, I guess) about how this break up is a natural progression, that they always pushed themselves, that they’re excited for the future…

In reality, Boy King bombed critically…sold well but drove crowds away…and they lost enthusiasm. The first signs of this probably came around Present Tense…when they talked about not wanting to keep going down the album/tour/album/tour cycle of a band.

For the record…Boy King is certainly not the my worst album of 2010s on it’s own merit…but in terms of what it meant for one of the best bands in the U.K…it’s my most hated.

Well yeah i guess but I wasn’t really expecting them to say “Well the last album tanked so we’re off” tbh.

1 Like

Would be refreshingly honest if they did!

Reckon I’d have Smother at no.1. I go back to it way more than Two Dancers. I liked both Present Tense and Boy King when they came out, but I’ve barely revisited either.

But boy king is actually good x

2 Likes

Keep fighting the good fight

2 Likes

That can’t be a real opinion…

2 Likes

Maybe they should have just had a wee hiatus then done a couple of EPs or singles. Silly boys

I gave it a 7/10 on this very website so yeah

Agreed. Thought it was a lot of fun and the electronic stuff sounded absolutely monstrous live.

1 Like

I really like Boy King, so up yours the lot of you.

5 Likes

Always sad when a well-liked band calls it quits, I think. And kind of a shame that you get the sense they all looked at each other, just cresting their thirties, and thought ‘if we don’t do something else now, we’ll never be able to.’

Essentially that music’s not a solid livelihood when you’re that good at it, I guess.

1 Like

We all agree Present Tense is incredible and stacked with bangers right?

2 Likes

It’s their worst album outside of wanderlust (which, paradoxically, is their best song) so, no.

1 Like

I just listened to Smother for the first time in ages because of this thread.

It’s an absolutely perfect album.

1 Like

Two Dancers>>>Smother>>Boy King>Limbo Panto>Present Tense

2 Likes

I always think I like Present Tense more than I actually do. In reality I go probably go back to Boy King more.

Not sure about the order of everything below Two Dancers, but I agree Two Dancers was by far the best thing they did.

2 Likes

The obviously right order is Smother > Limbo, Panto > Two Dancers > Present Tense.

They only released four albums.

1 Like

I agree. It was a total U-turn on what I wanted. I know it’s not about me, but the personal relationship with a band can be a very one way street, for better or worse. I understand people liking albums that I don’t. I also understand that bands will like albums I don’t - that the beauty of it.

1 Like