Will the vinyl renaissance last?

RSD Exclusive : Original Cast Recording of the Mamma Mia stage musical - £49

Form an orderly queue people!

1 Like

Fuck it’ll not be long until the lists out.
Hope theres nothing decent on it, or at a push…something decent that is reduced to half price within a week.

Hmm… this is how the resurgence of vinyl was pushed 15 years ago and I totally bought it. I’m less convinced nowadays though. It’s a colossal faff to get a great experience from vinyl - expensive hardware, expensive records, and you need a record company that gives a toss and does a decent pressing.

95% of the time a CD’s going to sound better. 99% of the time a FLAC download’s going to be better still.

Find it really funny that audiophiles spend a fortune then end up listening to Sade albums or whatever it is they think has the best quality pressing.

1 Like

You make a good point but i think if you’ve taken the time and the expense to set up a turntable amp speaker combo you like and you’ve got a decent pressing of a record you love then nothing can touch it.

Its not in any way scientific and its easy to mock, “sounds warmer etc haha”, but i love my setup and i love listening to my records even if technically it’s not as "accurate " a reproduction of the sounds, it sounds how i want it to and makes me happy.

6 Likes

Yeah, sound quality has never been the issue for me. I recognise my relatively basic setup doesn’t sound as good as my digital copies, but it’s more the tactile experience that I love. Looking through the spines and cueing up a record. It feels very comforting and enjoyable.

8 Likes

Agreed.
I all but gave up CD buying about 20 years ago as I was commuting an mp3s were on the scene. Ended up getting a decent LP collection from buying them at gigs as a ‘nice thing to have’ and getting loads of mega cheap bargains as the nadir of vinyl buying hit.
Now I’ve finally got a pretty high end setup the stuff does sound amazing (was always good to great tbh)
Recently the vinyl of Automatic For The People actually blew my mind a bit with how MUCH better it sounded than ever before. Crazy stuff.
As @bruised_blood says the tactile aspect and comfort of it all is good too. Real nice to stick a record on and just chill out.

2 Likes

It’s Beatles and Macca albums, judging by the Hoffman forums.

I’ve got a ‘reasonable’ setup (Rega/Vintage Akai/ Mission), and to be honest I get just as much (if perhaps more) enjoyment listening to music streamed from my laptop to a pair of £55 Sony bluetooth earbuds as I do with vinyl.
I buy vinyl as I have a collecting itch that I need to scratch, that and my current particular kink, 70s/80s Japanese fusion records aren’t available digitally.

Pre-ordered the upcoming boygenius and Big Brave records this morning, both £35. Seems a new standard price point.

(That’s what the last 100+ posts I haven’t read have been about, right?)

Boygenius is £26 at Piccadilly Records

1 Like

and big brave is cheaper elsewhere…

@d_k where you buying from hun? Might be worth cancelling.

Yep, think I will do.

What other record can I get with the money saved?

2 Likes

its all personal experience at the end of the day. I listen digitally/from bandcamp/spotify in the day and when im walking the dog/out and about but absolutely prefer the evenings when i’ll listen to a record or two. If i put digital on then it just feels different and wrong whereas the whole experience is much better with vinyl (i know im a wanker)

I have a nice enough but in the scheme of it, very basic set up which works a treat

1 Like

do you like Husker Du? These are a bit like them but spanish and its only £12. Great record

With the assurance that I’m really not trying to be rude, I cannot understand paying this for albums at all, let alone ones you’ve not heard yet? What if it’s disappointing?

HOW DARE YOU?!

(It’s a reasonable point, already don’t buy anything from artists I don’t know well until I’m sure I like the album overall and should extend this even to stuff by artists I know I like, really. Kind of a shame, like the idea of some level of blind support for artists but not sustainable when records are consistently £25+)

4 Likes

Aye fair enough. I just… those prices :melting_face:

Like I’m considering spending slightly silly money on the dinked edition of the new Rozi Plain this weekend but I have at least been listening to it on Spotify all this week so I know I like it.

(It comes with a 2023 calendar designed by Rozi)

2 Likes

Never heard of it, where can I pay at least £35 for it, please?

2 Likes

Yeah I like the blind support ideal too, but that’s the type of thing I’d do for sub-£20 (like getting Robocobra in a recent sale, £17 and I still knew I loved at least one track on it)

Check my eBay store, but only from Monday.

2 Likes

It’s frustrating when album prices vary so much from shop to shop especially if you have to order online. Like I buy from hhv pretty often and mostly they are good value but the odd album will be expensive e.g. the Mogwai reissues are €10 more than anywhere else.

1 Like