Winter Brexit Thread: Our DiScontent

Why are there no ‘The Brits are at it again’ memes?

Isn’t that just the news nowadays?

6 Likes

It should have been handled as a cross party issue after the election produced the result it did. There was a clear mandate for it there, but not on who should deliver it.

But British politics is adversarial and toxic, so, lol :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Basically yes. They should have gone well it’s a very close result but we will now look in depth at what that would actually mean and report back. Like anyone or organisation would do in any other walk of life. But no, politics is where you can just make stupid decisions on a whim and with no actual knowledge of what you’re doing.

2 Likes

20 Likes

Even if you assume the absolute best faith of everyone involved, which is impossible, this would still have ended up in a shit sandwich deal not dissimilar to what May’s finally managed to produce. The key thing is that there’s no such thing as a good deal, and most of the public don’t understand that, or don’t care. Keep asking them and they’ll keep telling you to get on with it.

I think it always had to be this way: The Tories had to own it, all of the key Brexiteers had to make a total hash of it, they had to produce something nobody wants, it had to end in a parliamentary free-for-all. The only way this country was going to step back from the brink was if it was made crystal clear to everyone that it was a catastrophe (and that isn’t to say we’re not yet going to blithely throw ourselves into the abyss regardless).

5 Likes

Perfection.

You’re probably right that a cross-party deal would’ve ended up much the same, but I feel like selling it to the public would’ve been much easier? If only the ERG were lined up against it, my gut tells me it would easier to dismiss them as the cranks they are.

1 Like

We’re back to hands across the aisle centrism as a solution then.

Would have fucked labour the same way it fucked the lib dems

Tories are toxic as fuck and anyone working with them are vile.

It would’ve ended with Jess tweeting “I know we agreed to the Muslim death camps but we banned plastic straws”

3 Likes

Probably, but I think the overall outcome would have been worse: We leave the EU for no good reason, the economy tanks, and now Corbyn’s Labour are smeared with the shit the Tories brought to the table. The Labour right and Lib Dems would’ve held themselves aloof and be delighted with the result.

no deal: some remainers think it’ll go so bad that brexiteers will admit it was bad, brexiters think it will genuinely work

when really it could lead VERY quickly to full on fascism

2 Likes

So, after a brief flirtation with a Norwayish alternative, there are now noises about delaying the vote…

Talk about clinging on by your fingernails.

It’s revolting that the government can continue to claim with a straight face that they’re acting in the national interest rather than grimly holding on to power by whatever means necessary.

7 Likes

Most of the tories have never felt so alive though - they’re getting to play out their obsessive European debate on the biggest stage possible, while also preparing to make a Very Serious Decision (which is the ego boost every mp craves).

3 Likes

Yep project fear is definitely ramping up now and is undoubtedly being driven by the government in order to scare rebels into voting for May’s deal. And to encourage the public to root for them to get on with it.

Oh, stop being so serious. I was being slightly facetious, but the average reading age of The Sun is 8, the average reading age of the UK population being 9.

The “norway option” is the new “australian-style points-based immigration system” : something simple sounding to cling to when the problem seems too complex

3 Likes

i see someone on twitter beat me to it

https://twitter.com/TadhgHickey/status/1070995527679074304

brutal

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1071078003780870146

15 Likes

yep

amazing

27 Likes