Winter Brexit Thread: Our DiScontent

Replace her with a “Controls on immigration” mug and it’d be ahead 40.

Though tbh Cooper’s been pretty good at making May squirm of late,.

yeah but there’s no backstop for the border between Spain & Gibraltar. Full hard border there?

That’s up for negotiations during the transition period, assuming the current withdrawal agreement is approved by the UK parliament.

If there is no new trade deal between the UK and the EU at the end of the transition period then it will automatically mean a hard border, i.e. the same arrangement for any EU country except Ireland - because of the backstop.

In the case of no deal, it’ll be a hard border everywhere including ireland from 29 March, as confirmed this morning by Margaritis Schinas, the EU commission’s chief spokesperson.

I see, thanks

The difference in MPs in this is properly worrying, especially the medical supply shortage one.
It genuinely is an entrenched ideological thing with no hope of swaying anyone isn’t it.

3 Likes

What’s really worrying is that the last two categories were even considered worth worrying about compared to the first one, which translates as “all trade between the UK and the rest of the world will stop”.

Hadn’t really seen the house price thing before, seems like something that might get people round to a remain side. People absolutely shit themselves when their house gets devalued

2 Likes

More relatable though I guess

this is all the proof anyone could ever want to the statement ‘humans are non-rational decision-makers’

Is this a poll??

I’d be wary of polling mps and expecting representative answers or even truthful ones (which sort of mp is gonna bother to respond to this??)

Guardian live blog if you want more details

Is there a deadline for a deal? I assume that, as things stand, the EU will want to start implementing the hard border infrastructure on Ireland at some point prior to the 29th, so that they’re ready (or at least on the way to ready) to put it into use from then on?

"house prices will fall " is more relatable than “you will have no food”?

theres no details on how many mps they asked, or how they actually asked them

According to the report it is a survey of 100 MPs with Leave MPs being outnumbered by roughly two to one.

I’d say for a certain demographic then definitely.

They can imagine the uncertainty of losing value in their home, or may have already even experienced stuff like negative equity.

Lack of food is something so alien to them they won’t contemplate it.

6 Likes

I’ve definitely flip-flopped on the issue, but dreading the idea of second referendum now.

With no economic reasoning to be found for no deal brexit it’ll just be a full on nationalistic fash campaign of “do what’s right for your country and sell it down the river”. Would inevitably win and then there’s no weasling out of it.

1 Like

No entirely clear there’s any way of weaselling out of it anyway.

Because there’s no public mandate for a no deal Brexit