Winter cricket thread then 🦗

cricket!

less than a month after the summer season ends the winter season begins. bit hectic this scheduling innit. saw on cricinfo that some of the all formats players are playing international cricket 1 out of every 3 days of the year. that’s pretty crazy.

this is The Big One though! five ODIs against the might of Sri Lanka.

Autumn Brexit Thread - The Yellowing

8th in the world for ODIs. Not holding out much hope of a cracking limited overs series.

Apparently new Zealand (proud brave island nation) have only played about 3 matches in 7 months? What’s all that about

aye, no matthews, no mendis, malinga looks on his last legs. could be a bit of a drubbing this series.

they lose money on every match they play that isn’t against the big 3. shitter innit.

They should move closer.

Just discovered Tailenders. Got a lot of time for Jimmy, and the Maccabees, so quite like it. Wasn’t a huge fan of Greg James, but he’s good.

What’s the Michael Vaughan/bit spicy stuff about?

Got ashes tickets for Headingley next year could only get day 4.

Anyone else got tickets?

Sam Curran should bat 3

So impressed with him since he came in over the summer.

The commentary on talksport isn’t bad at all

Mark Nicholas seems to be trying to be Henry Blofeld, but i like the addition of Atherton and bumble, and Matt prior isn’t bad

I’m glad we’ve found a middle order batsman wicketkeeper who’s handy for some runs. That’s where the most glaring hole in the England Test Team was.

Hands up who had us down for a first innings lead this time yesterday.

Keep your hands raised if you had us down for a first innings lead of 139?

Hmm…

Of course, there’s every chance we’ll be bowled out for 60 now…

Cannot BELIEVE they didn’t pick Woakes for this game.
I don’t care if he’s injured. I don’t care if he’s only on one leg. I don’t care if his style of bowling isn’t the most effective in these conditions…

A Stokes, Foakes, Woakes, middle order would have been golden.

I have a question about the Talksport thing… there don’t seem to be any adverts… Was listening for an hour on the way in this morning and didn’t hear a single ad. How are they making any money out of this? Am I missing something?

They plugged nowtv a bit within the commentary yesterday, in a way that was a bit “why don’t you go and actually watch this on nowtv?”

Sky must be paying them a fair bit for that

Very pleased with how thia has gone so far. From memory we might have drawn out last series over there and I’ve not been following it, owing to the fact I’m on a boat in Cyprus, but i don’t think they’ve improved much, so this series is probably a bit of an opportune fixture. We clearly have a few spinners that can do a job, on top of our current regulars, it’s good to finally see leach nab what should be a whole series. Also, our openers might not have a better chance to play themselves in than agaisnt these bowlers. Altgough pretty skilled, they’re surepy more threatening once the ball is a few overs old.

Is it on normal Talksport or a subsidiary thing? Tried to listen this morning but I only could find someone talking about boxing. Might have been 6am no cornflake confusion but I don’t think so

Even if we were bowled out for 60, I reckon we’d still win.

Above average Bumble anecdote re: England v Sri Lanka from the 90s https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTpB3bAGrI0