Winter Olympics 2018

Think the BBC are very much to blame here imo. The coverage has been awful. Incredibly partizan and trying to dig for an angle in her DQ yesterday that didn’t exist. Like a non stop hype machine. It’s actually put me off watching their coverage and have watched everything since her first race on Eurosport and not the BBC, purely to avoid the non stop bullshit. My twitter feed has been full of bollocks from them around “heartbreak” for Christie since the race yesterday.

Obviously, people are terrible and the messages are out of order and she’s handled it well, but I can’t help but feel that the BBC have whipped this up to something bigger than it ought to be (yes I’m aware she was our best shot of gold at the winter Olympics and that’s their job as a broadcaster, to create a narrative and interest, but I don’t think it’s helped her).

2 Likes

but with hindsight was this actually true? Maybe I’m being a bit controversialist here, but take on the one hand a competitor who is undeniably world-beating at her best, but is known for making questionable decisions under pressure and racing in an inherently risky style in a sport where unexpected disasters happen regularly, and on the other hand take a competitor who has already shown they can peak for and win an Olympic final, who has overcome setbacks to peak for this competition and who clearly has the single-mindedness and analytical ability to produce her very best performance right at the moment when it’s required. Take those two and who’s the best bet?

Couldn’t believe the beeb didn’t show either of the other two Brit women in their heats during the highlights show I watched last night, but then it was highlights I suppose.

Yeah. Watch any of the more in-depth coverage and then watch the same event on the highlights and it’s pretty clear they are trying to cram way too much into the highlights package.

Anyway. Women’s 2 lady bob is on now. They are in 6th after two heats. What chance a surprise medal ? the powerhouse at the back is a Newport girl so we have some welsh interest. whoop whoop.

The bobsleigh looks so clunky after days of watching the teatray events. Like watching two builders flytipping an old fridge over a railway embankment.

1 Like

She had the form as World Champion and the most chances of a medal, so id argue she was our best bet. I certainly didn’t expect Yarnold to be up there (I’m hardly an expert here FYI but she’s struggled with injury this season).

Again the narrative was there for the BBC. A shot at redemption after the disappointment of Sochi and her being WC and at the top of her game.

I just can’t see how a speed-skater can possibly qualify as the best bet for a gold given how unpredictable the event can be.

This is the BBC mate, they have no reasoning. It’s the story that they’re more interested in, not the sport.

The world champion thing I think is a massive category error by the broadcasters. Obviously for people who follow winter sports that’s a big deal, but that’s a tiny proportion of the people watching the coverage. For most of them they basically assume the world championships of speedskating take place at a municipal rink in Swindon, or at the very least ascribe it that much prestige.

1 Like

I’m totally in agreement with you here btw

No time to read the whole thread here, so sorry if this all been discussed, but…

Best stuff:
ALL OF THE SPORT (it’s better than the summer Olympics)
Beat Feuz
Ed Leigh’s commentary, although the other geezer for the snowboarding is a bit annoying.
Claire Balding, obviously.
Short Track Speed Skating. Is there any sport going with more jeopardy? There literally seems to be not enough rules to stop them all knocking each other over in every race.
Border Cross, obviously.
Linsday Vonn’s tears.

Worst stuff:
The co-commentary guy on the sliding sports. STOP. SAYING. “BUT”. And stop sounding like Guy Garvey. Although his “GREAT BRITAAAAAAAAIN!” soundbite was good value.
The third commentary guy on the halfpipe. Think he’s one of the British athletes. So gnarly dude (you idiot).
Big Air. Not a patch on the Slopestyle.
Same thing for every Olympics, but all of the granstands are empty. So depressing.
The amount of time dedicated to Curling.
The geezer who presents through the night. Is he from CBBC or soemthing? Useless and knows nothing.
The BBC’s obsession with complete losers on social media.

bye.

Bye @meths

Hi meths

Must be another Claire Balding

and “sort of”.

Ed leigh appreciation poll:

• He’s bloody brilliant
  • I am a tory

0 voters

are we all supposed to dislike lindsay vonn or what

It doesn’t really matter whether true or not - the media coverage (not just BBC) led a lot of people to believe she was more likely than not to win a couple of medals, probably gold - and quite reasonably given most people don’t follow any winter sports usually, let alone many at once, it’s not surprising that people’s opinions have been led by that.

I think pinsent just said ‘breast british bobsleigh team’ when interviewing the micas. Fuuuucking hell.

He’s still part of the BBC’s team for stuff other than Rowing? FFS.

Boobsleigh

1 Like