Wolf Parade

5 Likes

Sounds like typical Wolf parade. Which means I like it

I like it on first spin. Really enjoyed the EP from last year and they seemed to be loving playing live.
Very happy there is more on the way.

What is this cover art though? Thought they might link it to the art direction from the above video

Quite enjoyed that.

Thatā€™s great. You can hear the Dan Boeckner in that one (heaps better than Krug). Might actually see a return to the quality of the debut.

Only downside is it might mean a little while to wait before we get the follow up to The Operatorsā€™ debut.

Anyone after signed LPs they can be got from their official store but youā€™ll have to pay dear for shiiping from Canada:
https://store.wolfparade.com/cry-cry-cry/

Guaranteed to start a DiS argument. Krug is a hero

2 Likes

This is good. Happy theyā€™re back.

Iā€™m not going to pretend that wasnā€™t part of my design, but itā€™s sincerely felt in any case.

It just surprises me that Krug is so highly rated over Boeckner (if Boeckner is ever rated at all), when Boecknerā€™s work has so much more spark and energy (and pop hooks!). Boeckner brings the fun into Wolf Parade; Krug brings the dour and the dirge. Thatā€™s why Apologies, where their different songwriting styles are much more blended, is so clearly their best album (that and Brockā€™s shambolic production, which the subsequent albums really suffer from lacking).

I say ā€œsurprisedā€ but it doesnā€™t really surprise me, just saddens me. Iā€™d love to learn that thereā€™s at least one other person around here who rates Boecknerā€™s work over Krugā€™s. Iā€™d also be interested in recommendations on whether itā€™s worth me trying any of the first three Sunset Rubdown albums, given what Iā€™ve just said (as well as the fact that I think Dragonslayer boring as shit).

Compulsory ranking exercise:
AttQM > (but only just) Sound Kapital = The Operators > Face Control > Heartbreaking Bravery = Plague Park > At Mount Zoomer > Organ Music = Expo 86 >>>>>>>>>>>>> Dragonslayer

Havenā€™t heard the other three Sunset Rubdown albums, and never got the Divine Fits stuff because thereā€™s something about Spoon that grates a little.

2 Likes

Youā€™re also missing out on the Moonface and Swan Lake stuff which I, personally, feel is Krugā€™s stronger work outside of Wolf Parade. That said, ā€œThe Taming of the Hands That Came Back to Lifeā€ from Random Spirit Lover is as good as anything in the Wolf Parade catalogue.

I donā€™t think I favour Krug over Boeckner, or vice versa. There seems to be a pretty even split between both of them in my favourite WP songs.

3 Likes

RE. Moonface: I rate Heartbreaking Bravery itā€™s a quality album and ranks alongside the first two Handsome Furs albums (more or less). Not as fond of Organ Music but I donā€™t think itā€™s terrible, by any means. I loathed the City Wrecker EP, though, and that was enough for me to lose all interest in keeping track of moonface releases.

Itā€™s all about Julia With Blue Jeans On and the Dreamland EP for me. Absolutely sublime, the pair of them.

5 Likes

Your descriptions of each of them capture exactly what I love about the one and hate about the other

Ta. Will give those a listen

Agreed. Also, My Best Human Face by Moonface & Siinai was one of my favourite albums from last year.

1 Like

This is a really helpful post. I have a lot of stuff to get through from the WP boys. Love the new single too.

1 Like

This Operators album sounds instantly brilliant. How did I miss this?

1 Like

Itā€™s an album thatā€™s just grown and grown for me. At first I thought ā€˜good but not as good as peak Handsome Fursā€™, but it eventually worked its way up to No.2 on my AOTY list, and I think now itā€™s claimed the top spot.

1 Like