Women's Football Thread (Rolling)

Canada, Cameroon, New Zealand. That’s a pretty favourable draw.

My daughter plays football and her club get freebies for Bristol City Womens (kids freebies) and have been a couple of times. Really enjoyable, and loads of nice elements, like meeting the players after, and a cracking sourdough pizza available.

I’m hoping to get to the Scotland vs Japan match in Rennes and Scotland vs Argentina in the Parc Des Princes during the World Cup.

City Women v Chelsea Women very entertaining but (weirdly by the standards those two have set) pretty low on quality.

The Bradford City women’s team made a massive improvement last week, conceding only 5 goals.

Last 30 minutes of England Brazil in the SheBelieves Cup on BBC4 now. Currently 1-1

Why are so many of the Brazilians wearing gloves? It’s British summer temperatures!

Lovely finish!

Striker! Been a really entertaining second half this. Fran Kirby always seems to have so much time on the ball.

I’d been meaning to post in this thread as I’ve watched a couple Utd games and bits of others.

Generally found that the overall quality of the play was higher than I was expecting (especially in cup games) from pretty much every point of view bar the goalkeeping. Utd have a couple players (James, Sigsworth primarily) who can unleash a great shot from outside the box and if they can get it close to the top-right or top-left of the goal its usually pretty much guaranteed a goal. In the first game vs Villa it was especially notable. Still, theres a lot of skill in the game, and very little ego.

Outside of that, the crowd numbers and atmosphere has been great and its a refreshing change from men’s top level football.

You could argue about the choices all day (looks like some people already have judging by the comments here), but I thought this was a classy thing by the USWNT: https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2019/03/02/04/58/20190302-feat-wnt-honors-inspirational-women-with-names-on-back-of-jerseys-2019-shebelieves-cup

big fan of whoever picked audre lorde

this goal was good

miiight be going to paris when the world cup’s on. if so I’m pretty excited to go watch USA beat Chile 6-0

England win the SheBelieves Cup for the first time. With the World Cup just around the corner, may I not be the first to say… It’s Coming Home

It’s not - the majority of the world’s top teams were missing from the SheBelieves Cup.

But the number one ranked team was there, which I think gives plenty grounds for wild optimism.

“Nike launches national team kits for the Women’s World Cup” https://twitter.com/i/events/1105183798914764801

Nigeria kit bangs
Quite like the Chinese grey kit weirdly

The Dutch home kit is quite retro, in a good way. I’d preferred to see white shorts for home and the reverse (white top orange shirts) for away but this will do nicely.

You can’t really see it in the pic above, but the new French away kit is already an all-time classic imho:

:heart_eyes: