Wordle

OK here’s my reasoning:

I don’t see any alternatives to BEVEL on the top row so move the V. The As and O can’t be on the centre vertical so the second letter has to be the I so move that.

Then it gets tricky since the H, O and T are the only singles left, but I think the only word you can put down on the left is BLAST (it has to have an A and an S and the A isn’t letter four, can’t be BOAST because the O is on the middle row, but could be BEAST I suppose…). You can’t move those yet because of duplicates, but at least it narrows down the other options because those three letter are already in those three squares. The centre column I think then has to be VILLA which in turn means the bottom row is T*ASE which must be TEASE. With so few letters left that leads you to ALLOT across the middle and LATHE down the right, which solves the grid.

So move the H, T and O first to leave ten swaps remaining. The H+E swap just happens to be a double green leaving you now with only one E so move that to TEASE, which also gives you a double green. Swap the A and L in ALLOT for another double green. Then the one remaining L to BLAST, leaving you with two A+S swaps to complete in ten.

Apparently “heast” is also a word.

Possibly because I worked out 4 of the 6 words first (middle across and right down being the toughies) I opened with the double green of A and S in TEASE at the bottom. Pretty sure I went with the O/V swap next, then the I/H one that gives you a double green I/E with BEVEL and VILLA. Sort of falls out after that.

Your first move was my last, which is fine if you’ve worked out the words because you can always play a guaranteed double green. Your next three moves are equivalent to me saying you should move the singles, you just need to add the T to the list.

1 Like

::reclines onto couch::

You know when some people kinda shut down when faced with anything mathematical, despite being generally fairly capable?

That’s me, when faced with anything to do with a multi-word puzzle like Waffle or Wordle spin-offs. :grinning:

Im probably fully able to process it with a fair tailwind, but the (perceived) effort required to pull the concentration together to keep the plates spinning mentally is a drain, even to just think about it. I suspect this is related to a few other brain foibles, like a struggle with fiction, a preference for linear sports over team/field sports (i.e. motor/athletic/cycling racing). Also, compiling Bills of Quantities for work leaves me mentally shattered (due to all the cross-referencing and temporary mental totting up), versus doing a draughting a drawing (which is just spatial toying around, and mostly feels like playing an arcade game). Probably related to my suspected face-blindness, too. I’m a brute force single-tasker, rather than a flexible multi-core processor.

Thank you for this free therapy session.

1 Like

The thing I find interesting about this is that I think I’m in agreement. The only reason I could do that is because I could see one non-branching path to the answer, with each step justifiable in its own right. It’s when the grid is just a mass of As, Es and Ss that I just switch off. For me the interesting thing was nailing down the I straight up after getting/guessing the first word. That wasn’t immediately obvious, but after a little scan you can see that that spot has to be a vowel and none of the other vowels can go there.

In my own personal version of chess-boxing I have followed up my morning of wordplay by spending my “lunch hour” painting my bathroom ceiling.

1 Like

Wordle 524 4/6

:white_large_square::green_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::white_large_square:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square:

Pleased with the result after my fishing for letters thing.

Wordle 524 4/6

:black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::yellow_square::black_large_square:
:black_large_square::black_large_square::yellow_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:
:yellow_square::yellow_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::green_square:

Summary

AUDIO
SPIRE
HILLY
ITCHY

Wordle 524 4/6

:white_large_square::white_large_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::yellow_square:
:white_large_square::white_large_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::white_large_square:

Summary

Raise
Pivot
Until
Itchy

Wordle 524 3/6

:yellow_square::white_large_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::yellow_square:
:yellow_square::white_large_square::green_square::white_large_square::green_square:

Summary

CRYPT
TACKY
ITCHY

4 :star: :waffle:

Wordle 524 2/6

:black_large_square::green_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:

Amazingly (according to https://scoredle.com/) my first guess of STEAL narrowed it down to 2 possible words. The other being OTIUM, which I’ve never heard before. Took me a minute to get there, but always nice to bag a 2.

1 Like

Wordle 524 2/6

:black_large_square::green_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:

Amazed @Anon1 found another possible word for that pattern TBH!

squareword.org 298: 8 guesses

:yellow_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square:
:yellow_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::green_square:
:yellow_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::green_square:

<6::green_square: <11::yellow_square: <16::orange_square: 16+::red_square:
#squareword #squareword298

Wordle 524 4/6*

:yellow_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:
:black_large_square::yellow_square::black_large_square::yellow_square::yellow_square:
:black_large_square::green_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::yellow_square:

Wordle 525 3/6

:white_large_square::white_large_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::yellow_square:
:white_large_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::white_large_square:

Got lucky with my second word and got it in a minute.

1 Like

Wordle 525 3/6

:white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::yellow_square:
:yellow_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::green_square:

suite learn clean

Wordle 525 3/6

:white_large_square::white_large_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::green_square:

Summary

SYNTH
GROIN
CLEAN

Around the houses

Wordle 525 4/6

:black_large_square::black_large_square::yellow_square::black_large_square::yellow_square:
:black_large_square::yellow_square::black_large_square::yellow_square::black_large_square:
:yellow_square::yellow_square::black_large_square::green_square::black_large_square:

squareword.org 299: 8 guesses

:green_square::green_square::green_square::yellow_square::yellow_square:
:green_square::green_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::green_square:
:green_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::green_square::green_square:

<6::green_square: <11::yellow_square: <16::orange_square: 16+::red_square:
#squareword #squareword299

2 :star: :waffle:

Got a 3 yesterday because of a mis-drag that took at least one move to correct :weary: