Words that non-British people impersonating British accents like to say

Butter → Bu’er

‘cor blimey guvner’

'ello

4 Likes

On a butter pronunciation note, I’ve taken to saying it with a very exaggerated geordie accent recently.

“Hello, we’re here to steal your land and precious artefacts, hope you don’t mind!”

14 Likes

Lundun.

1 Like

Eleven.

fahkin cahnts

1 Like

Had a mature student for about 18 months in Spain, and he started using my vernacular a lot. Words like ‘innit’, ‘wa’er’ (water), referring to any event involving alcohol as ‘going for a pint’. The two month build up prior to his exam basically consisted of attempts to wean him off this.

12 Likes

Garaaaahhhhggeee

every time I say the word ‘water’ my foreign friends piss themselves, so that.

‘wa’ah’

1 Like

Mayte

MEIGHT

my grandparents used to pronounce this like ‘mike’ and for nearly my entire childhood, thought my grandad was friends with someone at work called ‘mike’.

1 Like

Sat here saying words in different English accents, might turn the work laptop on.

3 Likes

everyone in Spain believes that British people fall into one of these categories:

Harry Potter type, tea sipping Oxbridge scholars
Cockneys

3 Likes

Or go the shops and buy some biscuits

More of a glugger of tea myself

US-made video games love to have characters say stuff like ‘God save the Queen!’ and then it turns out their supposed to be Australian.

What does that one character in Overwatch say? “Cheers love, here’s the cavalry!” Just fucking end me.

2 Likes
  • Harry Potter type
  • Tea sipping Oxbridge scholar
  • Cockney

0 voters

harry potter type and oxbridge scholar are the same thing

2 Likes