Words you thought were spelt/said differently for a long time

epitome

penisland

2 Likes

Susanalbumparty

two prior-dissers were just tweeting about the lack of an “n” in restaurateur

4 Likes

Yeah, when i was a kid all the other kids said chimley so i did and my mum would be mortified at my Wigan ways.

When i knew it wasnt the right way i stopped it but that then made me the posh one at school and alienated me as some sort of snob. How you said things definitely did a lot of ground work for which sort of crew you ended up in.

I was in the kid who says mountain pen and roughsack crew, which was a much derided gang (of one)

2 Likes

When I was a kid i thought it was sycastic not sarcastic

I found out last year that diplodocus has a hard c in it

I’ve been saying diplo-doe-shus (sort of like delicious) for so long I don’t think I can change

5 Likes

Possible some people don’t know it’s not said that way I guess.

I had an A-Level physics teacher who wrote exponential on the board but always said expodential which drove me a bit barmy.

1 Like

Three that I use with work:

Cill/sill

Lintel/lintol

Superseded/superceded

This one is among the many hills I will die on. I refuse to accept the bi-O-pic pronounciation when it’s clearly short for ‘biographical picture’ and should be BI-o-pic. Sure people only started with this nonsense about ten years ago.

3 Likes

now you’ve sorted that, is it pronounced DIP-lo-DO-cus or DI-plodocus :wink:

1 Like

Airoplane - was well into my 20s before I found out it was aeroplane.

hyper-bowl

2 Likes

Thought mascarpone was marscapone until very recently.

1 Like

That’s a loaf.

3 Likes

the real question is why are you saying diplodocus so often anyway

3 Likes

Big Mary Poppins fan

supercalifragilisticsawadiplidocus

2 Likes

Um, why aren’t you? It’s only been 66 million years #foreverinourhearts

5 Likes

I’m pretty sure I got about half price off a job recently for knowing what a lintel/lintol is (I only know what it is, I can’t spell it). I was just pointing at stuff and was like “yeah there’s no lintel in a house this age is there so the water’s just coming right through” because my dad said it. And the guy was like “ah well, you obviously know a lot about it then, are you in the trade yourself?” was like mate do I fucking look like I’m in the trade.

4 Likes

Remuneration/renumeration

8 Likes