🥖 Work and Organised Labour 🌹

Chats around exploitation, resistance and class struggle within work.
Wider world & your own experiences, thoughts and feelings within organised and unorganised labour

Links to interesting things to read, watch and listen to!

NEWS! :star_struck:

3 Likes

Went into the office for one of my jobs yesterday and met a few colleagues and told them about how to join a union and why it could help them challenge.g. doing 5 hours of unpaid overtime every week. Small steps but I think it’s planting a seed :seedling:

3 Likes

Barbican stories is a collection of firsthand and witnessed accounts of racism and discrimination at the Barbican Centre in London

this looks good

Discrimination happens across multiple vectors at the Barbican: race, gender, class, sexuality, socio economic background, and disability. This book critiques the same system that lent zero support to its European employees when Brexit was voted for in 2016, the system that does not supply adequate support for someone coming back to work from maternity leave and the system that uses exploitative zero hour contracts to minimise their responsibility as employers.

4 Likes
6 Likes

quite good inspo for any of you who write

Currently trying to get the authorities’ help with getting paid an extra £5000 (!) from where I was working last summer (only for two months, and still, £5000 short). Those people clearly either didn’t really know about our fairly thorough Working Environment Act, or just thought it didn’t apply to them, or that no one would bother to take them up on it. Don’t know which is worse, really.

Lots of young people with no previous work experience there as well which makes it even worse, as they can just keep doing what they do and no one will speak up because they don’t know any better. Last summer there were three of us aged 30+ and we three were very frustrated and unhappy.

I’ve now sent all my documentation etc to what we call a Conciliation Board, don’t know what the UK equivalent is. Very interested to see how it progresses from here.

Labour laws etc are mostly very well regulated here and the unions are very strong, but sadly those of us who work mostly freelance/are self-employed are left a bit on the outside so I wasn’t in a union or anything at the time.

4 Likes

Good on you for navigating what sounds like a horrible bureaucratic nightmare and solidarity x

2 Likes

ACAS?

https://www.acas.org.uk/

Yeah, looks similar to their dispute thing!

1 Like