Work experience

I did my school work experience at the TSB bank. I really enjoyed it and the staff bought be some leaving presents which was nice.

At college I did two lots of work experience, one working at a company using AutoCAD, and another working for a computer shop repairing computers which I really enjoyed got a summer and weekend job from it.

I even did a years work placement at Uni, who offered me a job when I graduated.

bit harsh on pniks

Did it at Rocket Girl records which I am cheered to discover still exists

http://www.rocketgirl.co.uk/

It is / was run from a flat in Leyton and was pretty great. Did the mail order and listened to music all day.

Did mine in the office of a local primary school, one of my tasks was to count donated crisp packets that had some computers for schools promotion thing on them.

Had to do it with this lass called Helena who apparently had a thing for me that I was utterly oblivious to and some other lad who’s name I’ve forgotten who searched for “boobs” in the clipart bit on the staff room computer and couldn’t remove it from the autofill.

5 Likes

That sounds like the most ultimate work experience experience of all time

For context: I was given a week’s worth of filing. I had to sit by myself in the back office, which was freezing for almost the whole week

Did mine during activities week in Year 10 in an office that was a three minute run from home (back in the days when I was still able to run). It was chosen for its convenience. I spent two weeks franking envelopes and compiling a database (which actually took about 2 days).

The managing director gave me £40 on my last day, which was quite a shit load of money back in 1995…

I worked in a carpet warehouse for a week. Got paid £25 at the end of it which was good value considering I’d spent most of the week drinking tea and telling customers I’d get someone who knew what they were doing to help.

1 Like

Remember you mentioning this before AND your link has highlighted that they’ve repressed Disco Inferno’s debut so thank you very much!

1 Like

I love carpet shops.

A friend and I took it as a week off.

Did a week of pricing stock in the local Virgin Megastore. Was the week that Bring it On by Gomez, Coffee + TV by Blur and Secret Smile by Semisonic came out. I remember nothing about it other than having those songs ingrained into my consciousness by Virgin Megastore Radio.

In year 11 we had a choice of being supplied with a placement by some council scheme or organising our own. The council offered me McDonalds. I was a bit taken aback at the shitness of that offer, seeing as I could have had a paid job there at that age. So I ended up going to the office of the local art college. It was end of term and not many students there, and the office ladies just did not want me there, or want me touching the computers “in case I messed them up”. So I ended up in the art supply shop, making displays of pencils and the like, which was much more agreeable. Moody office woman complained to the school that I hadn’t worn a suit.

Sixth form I went to a photo lab/portrait studio. That was great fun. I got to learn how to do everything and made some window displays which they kept up for a few years. This was before digital cameras, so the local newspaper photographers used to bring their film in. One of them used to buy everyone in the lab an ice cream if he’d had a good day.

A couple of years ago I was in charge of three interns. They were Americans on a university exchange which included a work experience placement. Very wholesome types, I think two were Mormon.

Most of the time they just did photocopying and filing for other people. I felt a bit sorry for them, so tried to give them more interesting tasks, like showing them how to get hi res images off google and leaving them a picture research job of finding covers of a list of specific classic books.

Which I then had to do myself again, as the intern had ignored all the instructions, saved the preview thumbnail only, not named the files and just found the first image for each book, rather than picking a few interesting covers for each title as instructed, and seemed to find the whole thing boring and stupid.

So back to photocopying she went, and seemed happy with that.

2 Likes

Had to do 2 weeks, so applied for the music shop in Winchester. My mate did the same so we each got a week there, the main thing I remember from my week is the bloke in charge smoking cigarettes downstairs while I was sat next to him. How times change. The teacher who was organising everything then told me about a course I could go on for my week, a residential course with one of the marching bands in the army. That was good but exhausting and left me in no doubt that I had no interest in being in the army even if I got to be in the band and spend most of my time playing music.

1 Like

Did it at my Dad’s old work. A large bank.

Was awful. They didn’t want me there. Plus I had a broken wrist at the time so couldn’t do much. Midway through the 2nd week when I was leaving they told me not to bother coming back.

spent the week working with the guitarist from stiltskin in a recording studio in airdrie

it was really good craic as we spent the week recording a band’s EP, smoking weed and talking shit

did one lot at the local newspaper. Highlight of the week was attending a supermarket opening where the Teenage mutant ninja turtles were the guests of honour. This was the time of the first film coming out, so early 90’s ?

1 Like

Told this before, but the only one I remember was at the town library. I wore a smart jumper and trousers on my first day but didn’t know if they wanted me in a shirt and tie, so asked the boss guy and he said what I had on was fine.

In my report at the end of the week he wrote that I hadn’t dressed smartly enough. Cunt.

Worked for my MP year before my A Levels, was tosh
Worked for my local library two years prior, wasn’t completely unpleasant and got a summer job out of it
Overall: fine/10

Never did it. Started working at sixteen.