Work irks part 2 (rolling)

I’m dreading looking to find out what they’ve done to my commute. Might just turn up oblivious and see what happens.

1 Like

The message envelope icon flashes red. I just ignore it. It vanishes after a while.

1 Like

This is the correct way to deal with voicemail.

3 Likes

Pretty much fucked it.

Which part annoyed him, the women in there 20’s or the kebab Mondays?

It’s shithouse. I’d much rather an email, whenever someone speaks to me about work on the phone I’ve forgotten most of the conversation by the time I put the phone down.

1 Like

people at the same level as you who decide to scab for management. so they start ordering other people around, calling out mistakes, expressing extreme frustration when someone calls in sick. gtfo ma face with your bullshit, cheers.

6 Likes

It’s still better than people who email asking you to do something, then instant message you immediately wanting you to address it straight away.

Email’s an instant medium dude, I have your request and I’ll prioritise it accordingly. Nagging me is not going to make me do it sooner, especially when urgent requests are usually the result of someone else not doing their job properly and expecting others to bail them out.

Got so sick of ‘the quarterly board meeting is tomorrow so I need these figures by the end of the day’. The quarterly board meeting is set way in advance right? You know what information you need for it. SO WHY DOES IT ALWAYS TAKE YOU BY SURPRISE.

My polite requests to be told when these periodic meetings were and what information would be required for them so I could plan for it and not always be expected to drop everything for them were met with laughter as if that was a ridiculous thing to ask.

*1 cubical

I’ve argued this before on here and was rounded on. I look at my email three times a day. Even then it’s only to set them as ‘read’. I never actually do anything with them. Today, I have sent one meeting rescheduling notification and that’s it

The women. One had been on holiday somewhere where you had to eat in the dark and guess what you were having.

at an old job we had a talk from the MD who used the phrase ‘going forward’ 16 times in 20 minutes. i couldnt tell you what he was talking about afterwards coz i was so distracted by it

:nauseated_face:

1 Like

Depends on the job doesn’t it, in my previous job most of the work I was assigned came in by email and I was expected to take on someone else’s role which I confirmed with her was entirely received by email, which is why I no longer work there.

I mean I could have ignored it but I wouldn’t have been working there very long.

I see what you mean. There’s no way to change that overnight, as you say.

Sending fewer emails is a guaranteed way to receive fewer emails. Takes a bit of time to work itself out but I got there in the end

I am so glad I have never worked anywhere where instant message is widely used. Fuck that.

(Although it is great for accessibility and has helped deaf people in particular in workplaces an awful lot. Those guys are fine, it’s everyone else I don’t want to use it)

Yes but in my case and I’m sure a lot of others not responding to emails is a good way to find yourself out of work.

There was no alternative in my job. I didn’t work in the same country, never mind the same building, as anyone else in my department. Lots of people I had to communicate with didn’t work in the same time zone and have different working days, some people I would literally never be in work the same time as due to time differences. There’s also the fact that English is a second or third language for a lot of people I work with so writing down your request is a far better way of getting yourself understood than having a conversation. A lot of people don’t even have the confidence in their English to speak out loud, a lot of conference calls I’ve been in are just one person talking and absolute silence from the rest.

Email’s not a bad thing in itself, so trying to cut it out entirely seems a bit unnecessary and unproductive.

given the choice

• poo at work
  • poo at home

0 voters

Pub poo?

Morning poo at home so I can relax on the drive to work, then any subsequent poos on work time.

2 Likes