Work irks part 2 (hopefully rolling)

Half an hour ago he said he cannot understand how Corbyn can be prime minister.

Just now he said he never follows politics at all. ‘I put News 24 on for five minutes every now and then but that’s it.’

His opinion on Corbyn is still perfectly valid, though, of course.

A while back I had to say to a colleague: “You do your job and I will do mine.” He didn’t speak to me for a week. Which was a good result. The rest of my colleagues loved it.

I’d quit. I need my huge noise cancelling headphones when people are slurping their morning cereal or I will go mad.

Why do people look down at your desk when they walk past? What are they looking at here?

Someone’s destined for the top!

I’m a recent conscript to middle-management and I hadn’t realised just how little fucking work I actually do, instead I organise everyone else’s shit so they can get all their work done. Not sure if I enjoy it or not. Team busts out a great project and I’m like yaaaaay go us, but probably did naff all to contribute. Weird innit.

Might have a piece of toast and watch the evening news.

I’d pat yourself on the back for this. Maybe you didn’t realise this in advance, but at least you’ve realised it now. Many people moving into management have some fantasy that their job will involve doing all the interesting stuff from their previous job whilst also being able to point at things and say “make it happen”. In fact the whole point of managers is to organise other people’s work. It can be quite boring, but also requires organisational skills and interpersonal skills as well as an actual interest in people to do well. Which is why so many mangers are so shit.

The main thing that’s stopped me from going to middle management and staying a regular designer rather than design manager is that while the extra money is enticing, I think I would be bored out of my mind.

Thanks Filthy :heart:

When I was a manager I actually quite enjoyed it. There’s lots to enjoy if you actually go into it with your eyes open. I found the organisational stuff a bit mundane, and the management meetings were always utterly tedious, but the day to day work of allocating tasks to people according to their strengths and interests, and coaching them through it, was very rewarding.

Never going back to doing it again mind.

Did you go into being a manager from being a ‘creative’, though?

Oh God yes - this is exactly the sort of thing I’m on about, especially anticipating people and the conversational rubbish they inject into the atmosphere and trying to calculate some sort of response.

This is the only thing I dread about work. The actual work itself is fine, enjoyable even.

It’s weird isn’t it. Basically getting paid more to take ‘responsibility’ for things going wrong more often than not. Paid more to get a bigger skelping for stuff going wrong. Do well at that? Promotion! Paid even more for a larger responsibility and take a larger skelping when that goes wrong!

I’m sorta the opposite, I’m still doing all the things I used to do, because I’m better at them than the others. Whereas I should be spending my time improving their work, smoothing paths etc.

(In a rational world I’d be able to get paid loads to just keep doing what I’m good at, and let someone else manage things, but…)

This. Unfortunately people tend to get promoted to management roles because they’re good at whatever the business of the organisation is. Plus in many places the only way to earn more money is to become a manager. It’s not actually a productive way of running things as you’re taking away the people who are best at doing whatever it is the company does and putting them in a role they might not actually be as suited for.

Oi :muscle:

(jk :wink:)

Uh oh. Sounds like I’ll be called into your office for a telling off tomorrow…

I wouldn’t read that as a dig at you; seeing as you actually are organising stuff and so on, you’re doing what a manager is meant to do. Great job team!

No. I was and am an analyst.