Work irks part 2 (rolling)

Work things being referred to as someones ‘baby’. GET TO FUCK.

1 Like

^does not work as a midwife

10 Likes

Good one!

What is the end point on starting emails to colleagues with “happy new year”?

• Never did it
  • Today
  • End of this week
  • End of this month
  • Forever

0 voters

last friday

5 Likes

Whole of January as long as it’s your first email contact with the person since the turn of the year.

3 Likes

Been going round in circles with a piece of work due to my LM not giving me clear instructions and just confusing me. We both ended up apologising to each other about it and I am still unclear if what I’ve created is right. I’ve just given up now and going on lunch.

As soon as Feb rolls around

“happy valentine’s bbz X”

00:01 on January the 1st.

being in a new role and being asked to write an intro for the weekly newsletter.

“for example, in my spare time I walk my 3 legged rescue dog and can powerlift twice my body weight”

fuck off

1 Like

"Hi I’m daggers. You can learn more about me at community.drownedinsound.com "

2 Likes

Please do this exact thing

1 Like

They’ve been doing construction work on the building for months, so we’ve been entering via an undercroft car park, there’s only one lift in service, and there’s regular banging and hammering from the floor above us. I can cope with all of this but they somehow keep triggering the fire alarm. It is the middle of winter, stop sending me outside!!!

I would love to, but the sender would know I’m taking the piss out of them, and wouldn’t publish it

1 Like

Is this a typo or a real thing?

I’m about to tell a new starter working with me that she needs to do this. I wouldn’t of my own volition but it’s essentially mandatory around here.
Sorry everyone.

Would be situation dependent, but if I were put in the position of being asked to do a brief profile about myself, I’d want to keep it strictly business. Never you mind what I get up to off the clock (as long as there’s no conflict of interest, etc).

Being ‘coerced’ into spilling the beans about my life outside of work very early on after starting, and for the purposes of a newsletter to be distributed, instinctively feels not only intrusive but also unfairly puts the individual on the back foot.

The existing company employees get a head start on finding out about the n00b, and inevitably making judgements, but the n00b still has to do the legwork to find anything out about everybody else.

I wanna control what I say and to whom in a work environment. Especially early doors.

We’ve had a few new starts here in my extended team who I’ve never been introduced to or spoken to. It’s not ideal. So I can kinda see the thinking of making a welcome/‘getting to know them’ announcement about a new start. But could it not be handled differently?

Would it not be better for a manager to pen a piece dating how they’d like to welcome X to the team, then maybe mention the company they’ve come from, and/or cite a couple of general areas of experience or ability, maybe mention what projects they’ll be working on, or whatever.

1 Like

Too irked to even really write down my irk but just want the irk acknowledged.

19 Likes

Our organisation talks about diversity etc etc and assessing people for graduate scheme is like 75% white men (mostly old) 24.99% white women

Had a load of stuff dropped on me last week that’s important and confidential so haven’t been able to do my normal work. Fell behind on everything and there’s no end in sight to the stuff that’s been dropped on me.

Everyone’s getting angry at me because I have to keep telling them that the work i was meant to be doing for them has been deprioritised but I can’t tell them why.

What a truly wonderful situation. Would need to provide a business case to get help from another dept but can’t do that because I’m not allowed to talk about what I’m working on.

Was working past midnight on thursday.