Work leaving drinks/events

Bit of a faff to organise and attend, right? :roll_eyes:

Invite everyone or just the ones you truly wouldn’t mind spending an evening with? :face_with_monocle:

Anyone attended a leaving thing that wasn’t leaving drinks? :open_mouth:

Anyone have any good leaving drinks anecdotes? :joy:

I’ll be honest everyone, my heart isn’t really in this thread. I don’t know whether there’s much interesting to be said about this as a topic, but please do your best. Thanks.

Our IT contractors are always leaving, because we don’t pay very well. They always have leaving drinks. I never go, mainly because I couldn’t pick any of them out of a line up.

Didn’t have any. Nobody, myself included, really wanted them, and I still see the only people I didn’t despise from that place regularly anyway.

My boss didn’t bother coming to the pub at lunchtime on my last day because it was her day off. I bumped into her leaving the pub for another (ex-)colleague’s lunchtime leaving drinks a few weeks later, though, which just about summed it up for me.

There’s a lot of leaving drinks I get invited to by people who are effectively strangers. Maybe we’re missing out?

Really can’t be fucked with them, mine or anyone else’s.

“Of course, I wouldn’t miss it for the world”
don’t show up

I find them all very awkward.

People only staying for about 1-2 hours before heading off doesn’t seem very in the spirit of things but I can’t really blame them. There’s only so long you can sit in a Spoons chatting with colleagues who you may never of had an actual conversation with.

Don’t mind a leaving drinks. Expectations are always so low you can look like a hero just turning up for a swift one.

Christmas meals are shit though. Opting out of this year’s.

Been to one leaving drinks so far, this girl about my age. By the end of the night it was just us, a couple other girls and these two guys in their late thirties /early forties, married with kids. Naturally they tried extremely hard to have sex with these girls 10-15 years younger than them, to the extent that if I hadn’t been there things could’ve got very, uh… Illegal. Nothing happened fortunately but it was pretty difficult and unpleasant to deal with.

Moral of the story is, don’t invite any male colleagues over 30.

Leaving work: good
Drinks: good
Leaving work drinks : bad

Is there a thread in ‘things where 2 good things make a bad thing’ ?

Would you mind elaborating a bit more on this to explain why two good things equal a bad thing?

Yeah, 'cos that’s how we all behave!

:roll_eyes:

Leaving work drinks are always very boring because you’re forced to spend time with people you don’t really want to spend time with.

Leaving work and drinks are both independently things I thoroughly enjoy though

Quite like a good leaving drinks. Obviously depends on who’s leaving and who attends but I do like a good one. Only go out with my work lot about 2 or 3 times a year anyway.

Do what everyone wants to do but nobody ever does: start settling old scores. Make sure those bridges are well and truly torched.

I prefer to think of it more as not missing out.

going for a leaving lunch of someone I barely know tomorrow - but i will look like a killjoy if I don;t go, and it means i get to have a burrito for lunch so…

This is an annoying dilemma.

When I first started where I currently work I was roped into going to a leaving lunch for someone I hadn’t ever spoken to, but I knew if I didn’t go I would be forever vilified in the office

i like drinks. i like bleach. i wouldn’t like to drink bleach.
i like eating nuts. i like dogs. i wouldn’t like it if a dog ate my nuts.
i like aeroplanes. i like bouncy castles. i wouldn’t like it if an aeroplane crashed into my bouncy castle.

etc

Thread for things where two good things make a bad thing