Workable ideas for a better tomorrow anyone?

Free American flags for some, a one-time cash payment for voluntary sterilisation for others. Really think population control policy needs to be implemented ASAP.

Universal basic income obviously - they’re piloting a scheme for the unemployed in Finland as we speak.

Free DAW for everyone to make sick beats.

A heavier financial penalty imposed on the press when they cross the line - i.e., implicitly calling for violent action against UK judges etc.

Literally tomorrow - phone in sick
The general future - CWBAFT

Every wednesday = Cheese and Crackeers

Full implementation of Rawlsian Justice as Fairness regardless of who wants it, or failing that implement everything in anarchy state and utopia

Just to see how bad it all gets

Wank

get up earlier

1 Like

Pretending that last wutang album didn’t happen

something tells me i’ll be hanging onto this article wondering what might have been come december, when the world is a nuclear wasteland.

1 Like

Ive started making a conscious effort to be really nice/more conversational to people who serve me.

2 Likes

More bees - we need them for the excosystem, the more jobs in bee manufacturing are created, the stronger the economy. Simple, elegant.

1 Like

I’M DOING MY PART WITH MY AVATAR

2 Likes

dictatorship of the proletariat
mandatory training sessions for people travelling on London transport

I remember when I was a philosophy undergraduate and thought John Rawls was basically the 2nd coming of jesus.

great times.

I though that when I was doing an essay on Rawls, but now I’m doing one on Bernard Williams and so he’s now the second coming of Christ

Love some uni me

Discuss society in the language of power rather than morality. Agitate for revolution. Learn how to use a gun.

Aye, everything but the last two.

E: so basically I like 1/3 of your ideas

Michael Jackson said it best:

I’m gonna make a change, for once in my life
It’s gonna feel real good, gonna make a difference
Gonna make it right…

As I turn up the collar on my favorite winter coat
This wind is blowin’ my mind
I see the kids in the street, with not enough to eat
Who am I, to be blind? Pretending not to see their needs
A summer’s disregard, a broken bottle top
And a one man’s soul
They follow each other on the wind ya’ know
’Cause they got nowhere to go
That’s why I want you to know

I’m starting with the man in the mirror
I’m asking him to change his ways
And no message could have been any clearer
If you wanna make the world a better place
(If you wanna make the world a better place)
Take a look at yourself, and then make a change
(Take a look at yourself, and then make a change)
(Na na na, na na na, na na, na nah)

I’ve been a victim of a selfish kind of love
It’s time that I realize
That there are some with no home, not a nickel
to loan
Could it be really me, pretending that they’re
not alone?

A willow deeply scarred, somebody’s broken heart
And a washed-out dream
(Washed-out dream)
They follow the pattern on the wind, ya’ see
’Cause they got no place to be
That’s why I’m starting with me
(Starting with me!)

(Ooh!)
(Ooh!)
Take a look at yourself and then make a change
(Take a look at yourself and then make a change)

(Ooh!)
(Change his ways - ooh!)
Take a look at yourself and then make that…
(Take a look at yourself and then make that…)
Change!

(Man in the mirror - Oh yeah!)
(Better change!)
No message could have been any clearer
(Take a look at yourself and then make the change)
(You gotta get it right, while you got the time)
(’Cause when you close your heart)
You can’t close your…your mind!
(Then you close your…mind!)
That man, that man, that man, that man
With that man in the mirror
(Man in the mirror, oh yeah!)
That man, that man, that man
(Better change!)
You know…that man
No message could have been any clearer
Take a look at yourself and then make a change
(Take a look at yourself and then make a change)
Hoo! Hoo! Hoo! Hoo! Hoo!
Na na na, na na na, na na, na nah
(Oh yeah!)
Gonna feel real good now!
Yeah yeah! Yeah yeah! Yeah yeah!
Na na na, na na na, na na, na nah
(Ooooh…)
Oh no, no no…
I’m gonna make a change
It’s gonna feel real good! Come on!
(Change…)
Just lift yourself
You know
You’ve gotta stop it. Yourself!
(Yeah! - Make that change!)
I’ve got to make that change, today!
Hoo!
(Man in the mirror)
You got to
You got to not let yourself… brother…
Hoo!
(Yeah! - Make that change)
You know - I’ve got to get that man, that man…
(Man in the mirror)
You’ve got to
You’ve got to move! Come on! Come on!
You got to…
Stand up! Stand up! Stand up!
Stand up and lift yourself, now!
(Man in the mirror)
Hoo! Hoo! Hoo!
Aaow!
Gonna make that change…come on!
You know it!
You know it!
You know it!
You know…
(Change…)
Make that change.

1 Like

4 Likes

Yeah, all of those concerns are the reason why it’s only a trial at the moment.There are different ideas of how much to pay - e.g., some advocate adding up the total expenditure on welfare and dividing it amongst the number of adult citizens in a given population, while others say it should be a flat rate of X amount per month based on cost of living etc.

Just spitballing here, I’m more interested in what the outcome of these trials, but:

Labour market I’m not sure about; automation will render a huge number of people professionally obsolete in the coming decades anyway, already has, in fact, and the economy is already fluctuating so much it’s making the future dangerously uncertain for many people. Could be that if people are able to drop their hours this would mean someone else could pick up the ones going spare, or knowing they have a mattress in the form of UBI would make them more willing to challenge exploitative practices, etc. Besides which, the current system we have enables employers to pay shit wages anyway, and all the campaigning and agitating doesn’t seem to be doing much to persuade them to stop.

The idea of UBI probably blows many giant holes in the free market theory of how to run societies too, since we all know it doesn’t provide the equality it’s supposed to nor does it respond to human/moral necessity the way the neoliberal fundies insist it does. There’s some evidence to suggest productivity and the like actually increases when staff aren’t burdened by worries about bills or debt.

It also offers a challenge to the concept of work as we in the West are taught to understand it - basically that any job, no matter how tedious or exploitative or unnecessary, is somehow preferable to doing nothing, when quite obviously this is untrue. It’s a weird WASPish Protestant approach to life which resolutely refuses to acknowledge that there are so many jobs which simply aren’t needed, jobs that create a huge amount of psychic and physical suffering for the people who have to do them. Imagine what those people stuck on zero hours or doing 70 hours a week in a Sky call centre would be capable of if they knew they were free to walk away from their prison whenever they liked. Maybe there’d be an uptick in people offering their services to volunteer-staffed charities, maybe not. <This is dependent on UBI itself being compatible with cost of living, which many people disagree about. So it could be a redundant paragraph by the end of these trials.

It’d be interesting to see what this would mean for services like the NHS, too, where nurses for example are paid way too little and managerial consultants are paid way too much to tell the hospital managers to try and pay the nurses a little less than they’re already getting. Considering how valuable nurses are to the economy, it would be dangerous for politicians to continue hacking at their pay knowing UBI freed them up to sack off full time work and go to an agency or volunteer in a hospice somewhere.

The money is definitely there to do it; they manage to find a spare couple of million whenever they wanna build sky gardens or a new royal yacht or fund a war in the Middle East.

Also you’d have a population with the time and means to educate itself about the system as is, to explore alternatives to the current way of doing things, which is one reason the Tories, for one, are so opposed to it.