Workable ideas for a better tomorrow anyone?

Abolish private ownership

3 Likes

1 Like

Not sure I want to be sharing all my stuff with the average diser. What if they took my Star Wars expanded universe novels?

I definitely would, fwiw.

Heal the world
Make it a better place
For you and for me
And the entire human race
There are people dying
If you care enough for the living
Make a better place
For you and for me

We could try rapping at riot cops

Something should be done but offering a cash payment for sterilisation brings up all kind of class and elitism issues. Don’t like it at all. It should definitely be on all school curriculums to educate kids on the benefits of not having children and to value those who choose not to.

• Ban cars from cities
  • Cities to move to renewable sources for electricity. Preferably public owned.

Could both be done within years with the right investment.

Providing women with general education reduces birth rates, period. And populations control themselves. The world is not going to fill up with people.

1 Like

Well no, everyone will start eating each other after using up nearly all of the worlds resources which will eventually control population

Well in a world where work is no longer a major bargaining factor in people’s possession (because of the increasing proportion of it done by machines) who’s to say that collective power won’t be exercised by some other (possibly new) aspect of human quality?

It strikes me that you’re coming at this very much from the perspective of maintaining aspects of our society today that we may well view as fundamental now, but which may very well be irrelevant in the future. To put it another way: how would you feel about a universal right to free food, water or housing, all of which are theoretically achievable long-term goals for humanity?

2 Likes

The countries who would be better able to implement such policies probably aren’t the ones where the population growth is happening. While everyone’s freaking out about too many migrants and what not here, the population has been fairly steady for the last 40 or 50 years. It’s in Africa and India where the majority of growth is projected to take place.

Someone wasn’t watching Yellowstone last night. When the snow’s too thick to catch the voles the owls just don’t breed that year.

1 Like

^Eric Cantona’s rejected first draft of his kung fu kick apology.

10 Likes

Downloadable rice

Fertility rates are dropping across the whole world - as they always do when healthcare and education improves.

I suspect that within 20 years you’ll find that the world population is pretty stable, with an increasing demographic shift towards older age.

2 Likes

I agree, I think it’s likely that the global population will stabilize. We ain’t going Logan’s Run any time soon. At the same time, we might not actually be able to sustain a planet at maximum human capacity. Possibly the ideal/sustainable population is lower than it already is.

You’re coming at this in a fundamentally flawed way. First you’re automatically assuming everything about UBI is going to be harmful and destructive without taking account of the fact that a) you could be wrong, b) nobody really knows how it would pan out, hence trials worldwide, and c) the situation as is is already tremendously destructive and causes immense harm to people around the world.

^Again, you’re assuming that the system we have now is immutable and there can never be any possible alternative. Withdrawing labour is proving an increasingly fruitless act. The bonfire of workers’ rights Brexit/rise of the populist right will likely entail and the inescapable automation of most jobs mean we have to start considering a different world as a matter of urgency unless we want total societal breakdown. Most “work” in and of itself has no real value for most people beyond the purely economic. If you remove the societal pressure to waste forty hours a week in a place you hate and which drains your creative and empathic capabilities, it’s entirely possible we could have enough time to investigate new ideas and ways of organising. It feels like an idea you of all people should at least be curious about, and instead you seem to be saying that because of bad outcomes X, Y and Z which you’ve decided will happen without evidence, we shouldn’t explore this idea at all - that’s the definition of a reactionary conservative position.

The potential for empowerment it offers the individual is certainly one of the reasons why the Tories have dismissed the idea without listening to any of the economists, sociologists, psychologists, etc who are intrigued by it.

I heard we’ll peak at 9bil before tapering off. As in I literally read it half an hour after creating the thread :confused:

Is UBI more ‘empowering’ than ready access to secure, well-paid employment?