World Chess Championship

can’t believe yer man Magnus has a black eye from ‘playing football’, what a bad boi

Rock and Roll Chess.

Meanwhile, he’s given away most of his advantage in this one, and it looks like heading to a record breaking 9th draw in a row.

Caruana playing white today. Started playing the same line as game 8, which is when he had Carlsen in the most difficulty so far.

Carlsen going for it! Edge of your seat chess

Yep, I think taking that pawn would have been a huge blunder. He followed your advice.

Ooft. Carlsen just played Qg5. Sesse hates it.

Edit: Replied to myself for some reason!

Yep, Can’t figure this one out at all. Surely Caruana just takes on b5 now?

Anyone won a game yet?

Yeah, I can see that. Caruana’s taking an age over this one, so I suspect we might see Rg1

g3 definitely seems passive. Carlsen’s got him spooked

So here we go then. After 11 consecutive draws, we reach the final game. All Caruana has to do to become World Champion is win one game with white. No problem right?

If there’s no decisive result today, we move into the tiebreaker shorter games, which the stats say favour Carlsen.

Really don’t like Caruana’s position here. Not even going to pretend I understand Rh2.

Nope. Don’t think we’ll be seeing a draw here. Carlsen launching on the queenside now.

Ouch. Looks like Caruana is entering a world of pain with Re1

That’s not my analysis btw, just what sesse was saying. chess24 comms think it’s equal.

Some solid banter on the guardian liveblog

If it is over today, I will have to relay a funny experience I had the other day. I looked at the my fellow classmates during a friendly football match. We were level at five all. “It looks drawish!” I said and my other chess-knowing friend started laughing, and the others were left dumbfounded. With any luck, maybe we’ll get the sixth goal in today!

One false move here and Carlsen is going to get in down the queenside. And Caruana’s low on time (10 moves to play in 17 minutes). He’ll do very well to hold from here for my money.

How do you follow this on the chess24 stream? The actual current board position is so small and Peter, Anish and Sasha faff around too much on the larger board on the left.

Draw?!

I just look at sesse for the current position