WORLD CUP: Day 29/30 - the hangover

Sterling was my first pick…what with all the shit he’s been through

1 Like

How many goals did those kids score from set pieces?

Exactly.

7 Likes

Well only if we are top seeds, determined by ranking (which will surely get a hike after this…plus England are strong qualifiers).

10 Likes

it was just a general lol

I don’t doubt your assessment - sounds absolutely par for the course for a promising English teenager signed to Chelsea & loaned out to League One

that guy in particular seems to be a bit of a gobshite, said something about argentina crying like girls after their game.

still quite like croatia in general, but that’s mostly residual boban / suker love I think

2 Likes

Didn’t read last night’s thread so we’ve probably done this already but last night’s disappointment was probably one of the better ones I’ve had from England. There’s no shame in a team playing their hardest and being outclassed by a better team. Much less painful than 98, 04, 06 and less embarrassing than anything from 08 to 16 (although 2016 was funny more than anything else). Would probably feel as good as I have after any major tournament if it weren’t for that niggling suspicion that if things had been very slightly different we could have actually won it.

https://twitter.com/IainR0bertson/status/1017143415207800833

5 Likes

Haha oops I thought you replying to my other message about Modric pundits :joy:

He was big turds. I think he came at the same time as another teenager from Man City who was also shit. So definitely par for the course.

Mind you it’s interesting, maybe these kids will go on and have a good career in another league. League 1 needs a pretty specific player in terms of physicality and nous that perhaps the Premier League doesn’t need so much. So a player being shit in L1 doesn’t mean they’re necessarily gonna be shit even in the Prem.

1 Like

And conveniently omitting that they destroyed Argentina and topped their group, unbeaten obviously.

Genuinely really pleasing to see Stones and Maguire coming of age.

Argentina were/are an absolute shambles.

But there’s something in that: have time for Croatia getting into this side of the draw by topping a relatively tough group, as opposed to getting it as a gift finishing 2nd in a two-team group.

3 Likes

Think it’d be really nice if we played the second team against Belgium. Doesn’t matter if you finish 3rd or 4th. Give Trent66, Jones, RLC, Welbz, Vardy etc a proper runout.

8 Likes
1 Like

Top lad.

6 Likes

Nobody likes to see that

Good stuff that. Imagine getting outraged by it

5 Likes

Some #portuguesechat to lighten the mood:

Mick Jagger is basically to blame for yesterday’s defeat, since he is infamous (at least in Brazil) for cursing whichever team he supports, dating back to at least 2010:

• supported the US vs. Ghana in 2010, lost 2-1
  • supported England vs. Germany in 2010, lost 4-1
  • supported Brazil vs. Holland in 2010, lost 2-1
  • talked up Portugal and England as potential 2014 finalists during a gig in Lisbon, both crashed out in the group stages
  • supported Brazil vs. Germany in 2014, despite everyone urging him not to; lost 7-1

So when he showed up at half-time yesterday that was the kiss of death as far as the Brazilian media was concerned. He is, as they say, a “pé frio” (“cold foot”), someone who only brings misfortune (conversely, a “pé quente” (“hot foot”) is someone who acts as a lucky charm for their team).

10 Likes

I can see Maddison stepping up as well.

1 Like