WORLD CUP: Day 29/30 - the hangover

There’s no chance they’ll all end up like Josh McEachran absolutely no chance!

's been years since i went to any footi games that weren’t freebies from the boss to chelsea

thing is… my local team is Charlton now.

Is it a team worth investing in?

@BodyInTheThames i’m looking at you

“They underestimated Croatia tonight and that was a huge mistake. All these words from them we take, we were reading and we were saying: ‘OK, today we will see who will be tired.’

Guess it’s the number of them coming through now which is encouraging. Like 90% of top prospects don’t go on to much but if you’ve got a big crop a couple are likely to end up being top, top, triffic players

There might also be a few who come out of nowhere, a la Maguire, Vardy and (to a certain extent) Alli. Positivity, Land of Jordo

Tyrell Robinson England captain 2026
Bookmarking this

Do you reckon he’s the only footballer with a brand of snack as a first name and a brand of squash as a surname

Oh God :cry: :cry: :cry:

That the lookalike?

it’s so good that it’s impossible to actually tell :smiley:

Well you’re a bundle of laughs

:smiley: I remember a lil guy who had to go look at the paddling pool with nerves while the penalties were on hmm?

Thought you’s did really well getting as far as you did. First half last night you looked like a really good team.

But… England beat Tunisia (just), Panama, Columbia on pens and Sweden. Didn’t punch above their weight really did they? Didn’t topple anyone ranked above them.

Bodes well for the future and all that, but,as ever, can see the press just loading hype upon hype onto these young players (plus another 2/4 years of weekly Sterling bashing from the tabloid rags) and I get the feeling history will repeat itself here.

“Anya; it’s a been a great 4 weeks, but now I have to go back to my life in England. I’ll always remember our time together, especially that thing you did that dislocated my shoulder…”

By comparison to Englands performances for years, and years, and years, and years, they absolutely did.

Nice to have had one tournament without all that though regardless of how much of that was down to circumstance.

I think you’ve also really undersold how much of a boost it is just to have seen a coherent tactical system in place as opposed to pick-the-“best”-players-and-hope as it’s essentially been for the last decade or so.

Got to hope that the good performers here aren’t now picked for the rest of their careers regardless of club and international form, too

Well this is the thing, it’s a stepping stone now isn’t it? Something to build upon.

Always found it so bizarre that considering their performances over the past few years, every major events starts with some pundit saying “there’s no reason why we can’t win it, is there?” Like Roy Keane said - got to take it one game at a time. Guaranteed that come Euro 2020, the same pundits will consider England favourites to win the whole thing from the get-go.

The final is at Wembley…

yeah exactly. We did great not because we set the world alight, but because for a long time we weren’t actually doing great at all. And we brought a team that played a goddam classy game, every game. They were so nice that even Croatia, who were just playing at standard-level-banter-shoving, looked like cunts compared to our ruddy bloody innocent kids