World Cup of Detective/Crime Series (Final post 249)

So I’m really indulging myself here, as I wanted a crime/detective tv WCO, and @AQOS told me I should do it myself.

So, here we go. I didn’t have Richard Osman’s pre-populated lists, so admittedly I’ve had to stick my finger in the air a bit, so pls don’t hate me for my selections - I tried to cover most bases.

• Poirot
  • Midsomer Murders
  • NCIS
  • Columbo

0 voters

• Morse
  • Bones
  • Prime Suspect
  • Cracker

0 voters

• Happy Valley
  • Vera
  • True Detective
  • Silent Witness

0 voters

• The Bridge
  • Luther
  • Miss Marple
  • Law and Order

0 voters

• Bergerac
  • Sherlock
  • Jonathan Creek
  • Broadchurch

0 voters

• The Sweeney
  • A Touch of Frost
  • Line of Duty
  • Cagney and Lacey

0 voters

• Wallander
  • The Fall
  • CSI (all)
  • The Killing

0 voters

• Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes
  • The Wire
  • Criminal Minds
  • New Tricks

0 voters

1 Like

I’ve only seen Happy Valley and True Detective so I voted for those. I suspect they are the best anyway.

Cheers.

No itv Sherlock Holmes with Jeremy Brett? That’s it, I’m out of here!

1 Like

Oh and I voted Wallender but I’m assuming it’s the original not the weird Kenneth Brannagh remake. If it’s the latter please rescind my vote.

Ugh fail at the first hurdle. Yes, all original language versions.

No Hinterland?

Fair enough, it wasn’t great.

1 Like

Yeah, there were quite a few I had to discount solely because I thought viewership wouldn’t be large enough, Shetland was another.

The Bill is a huge miss. It’s only the show CSI could’ve been. :wink:

6 Likes

and had the greatest title song ever

1 Like

Hmmm I feel like The Wire shouldn’t be in here.
It’s gonna win cos it’s widely regarded as one of the best TV shows of all time.
Hmm.
Swap it out for Death in Paradise please.

1 Like

Quite a few of these I haven’t seen but are high up on my to watch list.

Yeah, I did have a bit of a dilemma here, especially because it’s already won another thread similar.

Irony being, I’ve never actually seen it! But it does firmly fit into the genre. Dunno what to do wahhhhhh

No! I’m sorry but I don’t think it does.
Criminal Minds, Midsomer Murders and Jonathan Creek occupy a wholly different place in my mind, to The Wire.

3 Likes

So we’re all agreed, The Wire out, and The Bill in?

If The Wire remains in, I will vote for it, but that should be taken as a vote for The Bill.

4 Likes

I’m happy to be swayed, although I can’t change the polls now I am a failure at these before I’ve even started.

The Wire?

• Swap it out for something else
  • Leave it in

0 voters

It’s still a crime show like Silent Witness, Prime Suspect, The Bridge or Cracker though.

Guess this is covering procedural stuff like The Wire, CSI, etc. as well as the single case per season stuff.

It must be weird to know what @AQOS has been feeling like for the past two weeks. I think perhaps everyone should run a World Cup, in a movement of solidarity.

3 Likes

You’re shitting me, what sort of time zone is this world cup being hosted.

Take it up with Osm…I mean… @Joke…ummmmmm…er…

1 Like

DEATH IN PARADISE must be included in all its cheesey formulaic glory. Only to be booted put in the early stages but still.
I’ll be voting on pure Sunday evening enjoyment /watchability and not actual quality of television.

Also where’s Ms Fishers Murder Mysteries?!

1 Like