World cup: the post mortem

Think that would be a strong contender for moment of the tournament actually. He’s one of those players who I actually don’t dislike, but take real satisfaction from him fucking up.

I don’t not like him but his fanboys are insufferable therefore his mistakes are hilarious

I miss HDAC Technology.

Still don’t know what it is though.

So much good stuff I keep randomly rmembering

Musa’s goals
Senegal team - warm up + manager + puma suit
Cavani scoring with his face
Portugal-Iran/Spain/Morocco running simulaneously with VAR going mental
Japan-Belgium (Japan’s passing game in general as well)
South Korea-Germany
Mexico-Germany
Carlos Sanches getting sent off in the first minutes for handball
Panama going into the England game as plucky underdogs and heel truning by trying to kick the shit out of Gazzas brave lads
Colombia deciding not to play football and just try kick lumps out of england - penalty spot defacing

ahhh so much

4 Likes

Neymar getting VAR-ed (!)

World Cup was really, really great.

After the England match I lost all energy and enthusiasm for it, just because, however you look at it, even if you’re rank outsiders once you’re in a semi, you dream of winning the thing. And not winning it is a bit of a bummer. So it seemed to end on a complete damp squib and I sort of wanted it to go away.

Up until the quarters, at least, it was the most entertaining major I can remember. Thereafter it was kind of par for the course, except with England being in it.

Question: Do you think that England matches were entertaining for the neutrals?

They may not have been as dour as the France v Denmark 0-0, but I can’t imagine that anyone else actually enjoyed them.

Colombia and Croatia were both good fun, but us v Sweden was a top 5 bumdinger.

Imo:

Tunisia: Nah
Panama: Nice to see GOALS, so on balance Ye
Belgium: Nah
Colombia: Kinda fun because of how little control ref had on game/ colombians going mental/ Pennos, so Ye
Sweden: Nah
Croatia: Possibly, eng missing chances in first half, then getting run over…

3 Likes

Colombia and Croatia both fun for wigs flying rather than actual football though

Great world cup, but boy, I have drank far too much Gazprom this past month or so

Not sure I can even look at another bowl of piping hot Tagliafico for the next 4 years.

3 Likes

Kind of. Outside of a few spells where they were playing for set-pieces, England resorted to Sven-style long balls bypassing the midfield way too often to be enjoyable though, I think.

I quite enjoyed the Panama game because of all the goals. Columbia was fun, but as someone mentioned above, that was more to do with the shenanigans than the actual football.

It was a shame England v Belgium wasn’t the first group game.

Lozano’s been offered to Spurs so maybe him.

Tunisia, Belgium (1st match) - not at all
Panama, Sweden, Belgium (2nd match) - fine if not spectacular
Colombia, Croatia - great fun

2 Likes

Just remembered someone (here?) calling Shaquiri and Xhaka the burglars from home alone and im chuckling like a madman

2 Likes

sorry, but the iranian flip throw fail is even funnier on multiple rewatches

https://twitter.com/adamjneilson/status/1009526561459130368

4 Likes

Handing in my Belgium flag and gun too, thanks!
@moderators

I’m sure i’ll get shouted at for this but as a genuine tip/recommendation most NFL gamedays end like this