Worst date you've ever had (keep it light)

36 Likes

i remember this story from when you posted and it doesn’t fail to deliver on second remembering.

3 Likes

did you ever diddle her in the end?

This is still somehow not the worst anecdote I’ve read of yours.

2 Likes

I have been the shit side of a date, she was ordering double rum and cokes at £9 a pop and I told her I couldn’t afford to keep up the rounds

3 Likes

https://community.drownedinsound.com/t/hows-your-love-life-dis/6813/8989?u=kermitwormit

I’ve only ever had kind of bad first dates that haven’t led anywhere. Whenever it ends in a relationship I don’t go on a date with them, I just shag them. Clearly it’s not my personality that’s my strong point heh

4 Likes

So so many but the one I full cringe about was when I (in casual mode pulling pints) asked a woman out who came off as incredibly classy, elegant, demure. She was an Austrian violinist and just had attractive confidence to the level that I thought she’d given me a fake number.

It was real, and I for about 1 second felt like a prince, then immediately got full dread. Drank too much beer during the day while telling my pal about being nervous. Went home and suddenly thought oh god I need to be classy. So put on what was at the time my only (bad fitting) suit, a shirt that was wrinkled to shit (i owned no iron) and smart shoes that were scuffed as hell (no polish)

Showed up to this date in a pizza place looking like a terrified work placement kid, half cut on beer, rambled, watched her continued dismay for about half an hour, eventually couldn’t bear it, got up to ‘go to the loo’ paid the bill at the door for both of us and asked the waiter to let her know I was too embarrassed to come back.

She did about 3 months later bump into me in Greenwich and (fairly) ripped out of me for it, too. Terrible/good times

16 Likes

God I LOVE THIS SO MUCH

1 Like

Had one where she turned up tipsy cos she’d had work drinks and she had a bottle of wine in her bag that she’d nicked from her office, while we were having drinks from the bar she was also pouring herself some from the bottle but not offering me any. Despite all this I thought she was cute and I had no self respect at the time ( approx 3 months ago) so after a few drinks I told her that I thought she was cute but that I didn’t feel like she felt the same way about me, she just went ‘Nope!’ and I was like ‘Fair enough!’.

Then when I was getting ready to leave she said she was gonna stay and talk to some strangers who were also at the bar. For some reason I still went in for an extremely awkward hug before I left, she seemed surprised and didn’t reciprocate.

This actually seems much more mortifying written down than it felt at the time.

21 Likes

I know it’s hard to believe but I wasn’t always the woke-James-bond I come off as now

2 Likes

Nice referencing of your Internal Monologue, which is appropriate today, too.

2 Likes

Nah :frowning:

It’s not even my worst date but it’s too bleak to post the real one

1 Like

Similar to this, really fancied a girl in my teens and asked her to the cinema and she said yes and then I decided on Meet the Fockers. Made it about 40 minutes in and then left and the situation wasn’t rescuable from there :frowning:

1 Like

https://community.drownedinsound.com/t/hows-your-love-life-dis/6813/11801?u=dktrfaustus

Hard to know what to hate first in a way

7 Likes

I went on a date with a girl I’d met the week before in a pub and she nipped off part way through cause she’d spotted her meth dealer and came back absolutely high as a kite.

Somehow that was better than the one where she (a different she) replied to literally everything I brought up with ‘i don’t really know about that’ and didn’t make any conversation herself so we sat in increasingly long silences.

10 Likes

When I was 15/16 I went on a date with a bespectacled gentleman from a private all boys school and we went to see Toy Story 3 in 3D and the glasses plus his glasses obviously wasnt a good mix because he was sick in a bag

23 Likes

Met a young lady at a party, asked for her number*, and a week or so later we went out for a drink. Early on in the date we started talking about music, and she told me “I usually only listen to one band at a time, and right now that band is Coldplay”.
I suppose that the look on my face must’ve been one of mild horror, and the date never really recovered from that point.

*I believe my charming line was “I’ve had enough of this terrible Hungarian wine to ask for your number”

2 Likes

Lots of these dates could’ve been saved if nobody tried to ask out bartenders while they’re working. Cardinal sin imho.

3 Likes