Worst debut album by an artist who eventually turned out to be great

I don’t know. But there must be millions. This post was inspired by @TeaCrullers’ apparent refusal to listen to debut LPs as discussed in the 2020 albums hype thread.

leisure is the first one that springs to mind

8 Likes

Didn’t like the 1st Horrors album. Primary Colours is great. only recent example I can really think of.

11 Likes

Pablo Honey
David Bowie (self-titled)

16 Likes

My sister saw the Horrors on the 2006 NME tour and thought they were so terrible she refused to ever listen to them again. So even now she thinks they still sound exactly like they did on Strange House :joy:

1 Like

It’s actually their second album, Modern Life, that I hear people dismissing most often.

21 Likes

Mate of mine has done exactly the same thing.

The first Cure album is pretty ropey (although I know a lot of that was outside the band’s control), that cover of Foxy Lady :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

The National

8 Likes

“Turned out to be great”

10 Likes

I knew someone would say it (eye roll)

11 Likes

The first sigur ros album was a bit naff for the most part despite having a couple good tracks

2 Likes

This reply happened even faster than I was expecting

!

Who are these people??

5 Likes

Nah, people love ‘Modern Life’! It is, rightly, seen as a classic album.

2 Likes

‘Leisure’ does have a few good songs on it (‘She’s So High’, ‘Sing’ & ‘Fool’). It is pretty ordinary though. Honorable mention for ‘I Know’ though, which wasn’t on the album.

1 Like

The Beatles.

1 Like

Can I just distance myself from all these other numbskulls and say that I throughly enjoyed this joke.

22 Likes

Neil Young.

2 Likes

Modern Life - Is Rubbish
I’m holding on for to-morr-ow :laughing: :+1:

1 Like