Worst five cities/places you’ve been to

Sounds like hell on earth.

Can’t be doing with these people who think any city is bad. It’s still a city: it has shops and stuff to do. Just blot out the grim realities.

Pyongyang - as sad as you’d imagine
Guatemala City - dodgy AF
Tegucigalpa - dodgy AF
Manchester - a big nothing of a place
Bracknell

I really liked Genoa (for the 8 hours I was there)

Taunton - Bleak. Only time I’ve ever seen someone smoking heroin was under a bridge here whilst out on a bike ride.

Liverpool - Only ever been here for football at Goodison and Anfield so probably not the best way to visit. That bit round Anfield with all the derelict houses is so depressing. Always seem to end up in the Lutine Bell with Scousers wanting you to tell them how amazing their ground is.

Riga - Stag central. Horrible.

Pitsea, Essex - lots to choose from in Essex, but Pitsea is probably the worst I’ve visited.

Wroclaw - the most boring place I’ve ever been to, and had to kill 2 days here for a wedding

Ooh. I bought a guitar amp from a guy in Toxteth once. A high proportion of the houses were boarded up, and I saw two (attempted?) break-ins in the short time I was there.

Well the bit round Anfield is where all the compulsory purchase stuff is going on, so there are rows and rows of empty houses. Never been to Toxteth.

Does it? Its got a huge working class community and was actually an important provance in resisting facist rule. It still has a strong ANPI community. It’s a left leaning bellwether provance.

An argument over whether to reinstate some statues is hardly the same as it being neo Nazi.

For balance I know someone who has lived on Brescia for 20 years and absolutely loves it.

Last time I went to Merthyr the vacuum factory was on fire

that sucks

2 Likes

Hoovered up any opportunities for sure

Naples
Paris
Athens
Luton
Perth

Just close them all down.

I was also baffled by this. Great place all round.

Don’t think I’ve ever been anywhere really terrible. Even places that might look ropey at first usually have some redeeming features and good people.

1 Like

I would totally agree… apart from Whitley Bay.

shitehole all round, full of tourists EDIT: sorry I thought you were replying to my Edinburgh jibe

Top Crudholes, Southern Hampshire Edition:

Eastleigh
Hedge End
West End
Chandlers Ford
Fareham (inc. Whiteley)

Can’t believe I forgot these, could happily replace my whole list up there with this selection of bland horror.

1 Like

And yet, no mention of Paulsgrove or Cosham (a little further easterly, granted).

3 Likes

Lots of pretty horrible UK places.

Elsewhere, Turin is the only place that springs to mind. Quite pretty surroundings - the drive over the French border is one of the best things I’ve ever done - but the city itself felt very nothingy? Might be unfair as I was only there for two weekdays. Nothing

Had mixed experiences with Paris. Lots of absolutely grim sights. One of the only places I’ve felt a bit on-edge

Had my hotel room broken into and robbed in Guatemala city. Felt a begrudging respect for the thief though cos they took our passports out of a travel wallet and left them on the bed. Would have been a nightmare to sort that out.