Worst pub you've ever been in

As if I’m going all the way down there for a pint.

1 Like

The Three Cups Inn, Dover.

A few years ago I went to Dover vs Crystal Palace in the FA Cup. There were a few nice real ale pubs, but then a friend wanted to watch the Darts, so we ended up in this place. We were literally eyed by the locals as soon as we walked in, a big fight started (not with us) but we were increasingly sensing we’d be targeted next.

We told the friend to forget the darts, and we went back to a real ale pub.

Reflections, Wakefield

You might have been checking out the Thirsty beer garden (I’m not writing it their way) and fancied going somewhere less painfully middle class.

Michael’s Genuine Pub

I love it. Played dominos with a old guy who could barely talk once whilst I waited for @plasticniki and @aboynamedgoo (I think) before a Daylight Music event. Nowt like a leffe there at 11 on a Saturday

Which DiSer d’ya reckon has the best taste in pubs? I reckon @bugduv has a good eye for a great boozer.

Do Brewdog have their own pubs? I vote for them. #punktwats

I was there the other week. Shabby, but not terrible by any means.

Bentnick in Nottingham

I’d take Theo’s recommendations over anyone’s, in case I need to take a mid-session shit.

1 Like

There’s one in Stirling. I didn’t go in.

1 Like

I never had the balls, or the inclination to go in there

If you were going to Daylight Music it probably was the Spoons at Highbury & Islington?

Every generic branch of every pub chain ever. I have been in some shitholes in my time but at least they were original and served a half-decent pint

2 Likes

Given Thirsty’s apparent values (SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELF-PROMOTE SELF-PROMOTE SELF-PROMOTE SELF-PROMOTE) and target market I should have known better, but I went there once. To my surprise I found an setting entirely devoid of atmosphere with far too many tables all squished as closely together as possible, presumably to maximise capacity at the expense of comfort. Went to get my (crap) beer and they tried to sell me some sort of shit on top of it. Fuck off mates

I don’t mind it in there tbh tbf…

The Volunteer, Northwich.

Never have I felt such an ‘atmosphere’ in a pub, I felt I couldn’t look up from my pint in case I caught someone’s eye and they got instantly fighty. It was a large rectangular room with all the tables around the edge, as if they had a permanent fighting arena. We left smartish.

I pop down for the food van sometimes, usually get a couple of beers to take away while I’m there. Have sat in a few times and… no.

Fucking hate The Old Spring up that way too. Should just stick to the Portland. The Waterman refurb is done now too,I should check that out (it was fine before).

Only been in there once, but it really, really smelled of urine and someone barged into me and made as if I was out to spill their drinks. Atmosphere seemed a bit on edge.

Still, very cheap drinks!