Worst thing you've ever smelled

Once had a housemate who left some tripe boiling in a pan and ended up burning it. The house reeked for weeks after

Yaxley

Good question @noise_ramones!

WARNING: VERY SAD AND HORRIBLE STORY FOLLOWS IVE BLURRED OUT GHE NASTY BITS

So my girlfriend at the time and I lived above this guy who lived alone with his dog. We rarely saw him but often heard him, every few nights or so having an absolute RAGER by himself I.e loud music, shouting to himself/dog, drinking heavily but then would go totally quiet for days.

Anyway we went down to London during the summer (me for a week or so, her for about a month as she had a placement) and when I went back up north, I generally hung out at my pals place rather than my own on my Todd. When I did come back to get a couple things/check the place I didn’t hear or notice anything.

When it came to the day my girlfriend was coming back from London I went to tidy up the place for her arrival and now noticed a weird smell but couldn’t find any obvious cause so just opened a window and went to pick her up from train station. When we get back she immediately noticed the smell, which had got worse, and was like “wtf is that?!” And I said I didn’t know.

Anyway, that same night we get a knock on the door and it’s the police and now we’re really confused/worried. They ask us:

“when was the last time you saw your downstairs neighbour”
“Not in a while but we’ve not really been here much recently”
“Ah, because that smell is what a dead body smells like”

So they go downstairs and proceed to bash the door in and yep, true as day, the man was dead. It unleashed and even mightier stench and a whole bunch of flies (which when I thought about it, I realised I had seen some flies hanging about earlier in the day but still didn’t think THAT) and most distressingly his dog, who survived somewhere between a week or two on its own (trigger) Quite possibly on the body and was freaking out on the stairs in the close just going up and down repeatedly for about 20 minutes before it could be calmed down.

So the forensics people came along later that night, which one of them dressed up in full gear asking if she could use out toilet and “to not worry, I haven’t touched him yet”. The verdict was during one of his rage nights, The guy tripped and smashed his head on the oven and bled out, dunno how quickly he perished but still :fearful:.

A week later, after the clean-up and statements and that, we get a knock on the door and a guy who looked just like our neighbour was there, who turned out to be his brother but initially seemed like an actual ghost. He was very shocked of course, but worse, very apologetic to us(!) he explained his brother had been cut out of the family due to his drug/alcohol abuse and mental issues, but apologised that we had to live with him.

We moved out a couple weeks after that.

1 Like

edit - some friends bought a house and the wind must have been blowing in the other direction when they viewed it as the stench from the mushroom farm is a real doozy .

yeah my answer isnt dead body so much as dying bodyparts. gf’s stepdad had circulation problems to the point where his toes died, the smell of that in his room when we were waiting for them to drop off was pure horror. like a weird sickly sweetness to it as well as the absolutely foul stench. sort of thing you never forget

1 Like

FUCK

1 Like

Once found a tin of open car food underneath we the cardboard compactor at work. It’d been there for about 5yrs. Absolutely writhing with maggots and mould. Fucking disgusting.

Also found a rotten mouse underneath a fridge. Smelt horrid and was a pile of watery mush and bones

1 Like

That’s quite a story

Wow

3 Likes

yeah I still can’t quite believe it.

The smell was horrific, like if no one had cleaned out a rabbit hutch in months (also it was summer so…)

The poor dog :dog2:

3 Likes

I think I might have lived with the same guy.

An actual rotten egg. Or the bin room in my building.

Yep, same.

All sorts of horrible things for work but I won’t go on about that because it’s grim.

But non-work related was absolutely and definitely my brother’s dog’s breath. Buddy had been fed a load of leftover trout skins with his dinner. Lovely. We all go out for the night etc.
The next morning I’m asleep on the sofa bed and wake up to Buddy breathing dog troutskin breath right into my nose and mouth. The trout had had all night to really fester up a bit too. I was really hanging too. I don’t know how I didn’t vomit into his cute little face.
I can still almost taste it.

Worst thing I’ve ever smelled (and tasted) was Hákarl the first time I was in Iceland. One of the guys I was staying with told me it was a type of local cheese but it’s actually fermented shark meat. The smell was something like the most pungent, mouldy, liquid Camembert which had been soaked in hot, dehydrated urine, pure ammonia and fish sauce then left in the hot sun for a fortnight. Truly horrific.

1 Like

:smiley: this post really tickled me for some reason

Yeah this is my answer.

Was a hungover sunday morning and we decided to do a big house breakfast. Bacon was frying, sausages in the oven. Beans and mushrooms on the hob. Last thing to do was some fried eggs. First three were cracked into the pan and all was fine. Then the third went in and it was actually green. Never seen people leave a room so quickly. It only got worse as it cooked.

Special mention to my old housemate who once confused a bottle of fish sauce with soy sauce and just chucked a huge glug into a pan.

1 Like

It was this from the cat thread.

Somehow I’m finding this more bokeworthy than severed’s dead neighbour story above

Weird

1 Like