Wrestlemania 34 official thread - Link for DiS Graps Chatroom inside for tonight

:exploding_head:

:wink:

1 Like

My brother had Wrestlemania 6 on tape so i watched that on constant repeat. We didn’t have Sky until around 98 so i stopped watching until Survivor Series that year and from then on i was hooked.

Capital Punishment 2011 is a cracking watch, particularly when they wheel Barack Obama out to do a spinaroonie

Arrrrgh

God wrestling was shit 7 years ago

Punk/Mysterio could have been alright if Mysterio wasn’t wrestling at about a tenth of the speed he used to be capable of. A bit confused about why The Miz was wrestling himself though.

I know it’s Alex Riley btw

2 Likes

thought that match was decent enough myself. orton vs christian was good too

I don’t think I was watching anymore by this point, so I’ve no idea how the actual show was, most a comment on the card itself when compared with whats around now.

Orton was boring me to death by the time WWE got this far, but I did still quite enjoy Christian on the whole.

him and christian had a series of matches that summer, they’re all worth watching really (and obvs the punk/cena stuff that was happening at the same time). have only found randal sporadically entertaining since his evolution / legend killer days but that feud was a definite high spot

1 Like

Jericho is replacing Rusev in the Casket Match at Greate$t Royal Rumble. No idea why, hopefully not that Rusev has left the company.

Pretty harsh to replace him on Rusev Day too. :frowning:

1 Like

Rusev to win the greatest rumble on Rusev day!

Oh to answer the ‘what was your first PPV’ question from earlier, it was King of the Ring 2000. I definitely came to WWF a little late, and I have memories of kids on the playground doing the ‘suck it’ taunt a few years before that and being entirely bemused. Why would anyone want to suck that?

Can’t really remember how or why I got into wrestling, but it can’t have been more than a fortnight before KotR, and I was totally besotted with WWF by the time the event came round. Got my grandad to tape it for me off Sky and watched it after school the next day.

Also have vague memories of using a VHS of a slightly older PPV as wanking material as things were scarce in those days.

I used to love Survivor Series when i was a kid. Felt a lot different to the other PPV’s, bit more partisan given the team nature, i guess. Used to really like the video sleeves. If i remember rightly they were yellow with all the participants on in a sort of by-match format. We used to go to the video shop every Friday evening, this is even before Blockbusters when independent video shops were quite common, and we’d always get a film and a wrestling video, mainly a Survivor Series.

First memory i have of watching one, Brutus Beefcake got cut (keyfabe) by someone at the end of a match and it was censored. Anyone know which card this was? Would’ve had to have been 91ish to 93ish, i’d guess.

1 Like

always found the promo art for the 93 one really funny

obvs yoko is using chopsticks for his turkey on the heel version of the poster

2 Likes

Ludvig

1 Like

Well they have covered it with Lana posting on Twitter that she refused to let her husband participate in a casket match. So hopefully that means he hasn’t upped and left.

beefer wasn’t on any in that period btw, think it’d be 88 or 89 maybe

fully behind this meme btw:

3 Likes

Ron Bass opened him up with one of his spurs on an episode of Superstars back in '88 - maybe that’s what you’re on about? Led to Beefcake being replaced by Warrior at SummerSlam that year (the infamous Honky Tonk Man squash). They were then on opposite teams at Survivor Series and did a hair vs. hair match on Saturday Night’s Main Event.