Yo La Tengo - 'This Stupid World' out now!

And Pablo and Andrea. And Blue Line Swinger. Especially Blue Line Swinger.

Their best album as far as I’m concerned.

So many good things about Electr-O-Pura:

Opening with a Georgia vocal with building guitar (Decora) and then following into a 6 minute Ira wig out with a gentle cleansing thrum of a follow up in The Hours Grow Late. Pablo is Dead and The Ballad of Red Buckets are absolutely beautiful mid-album highlights. My Heart’s Reflection (my favourite YLT tune) is the template for Night Falls On Hoboken (a hypnotic bassline with plucked embellishments over the top) and Blue Line Swinger pre-empts the sound of And I Can Hear My Heart…Basically, it has the best quiet songs, the best loud songs and the best long songs of all their albums. I think only Fade runs it close for displaying their range without a weak point (much as I love their other albums).

3 Likes

It’s really such a perfect song. That melody is so beautiful.

My college roommate used to play it nonstop and I had no idea what it was (for some reason I never asked), and I thought I’d never find it again. It was such a great surprise hearing it when I discovered Electr-o-pura in 2016 (I got into them very, very late).

1 Like

There’s also a really good campfire-folky alt take on a b-side with a lovely Georgia vocal. They did this on the acoustic tour a few years ago and it was :heart_eyes:

Think their tendency to spin out different versions of songs is one of my favourite things about them, cf both versions of Big Day Coming.

1 Like

i actually think the 3rd version of big day coming that came out on the reissue recently is my favourite, it’s kind of a looser demo which suits the vibe of the song

it’s off Prisoners of Love actually

Yummmmm. And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside Out … Delicious. As was Summer Sun … what next, fellow DIS-ers, for those who adore YLT’s mellower side?

Fade, or Painful

2 Likes

@Tuna - heading there right now, man. Ta.

What a glorious record this is!
For You Too is stunning, pulled it back three times on my walk to work.

3 Likes

Got this on just now

Really love the way She May, She Might slowly builds and builds without ever fully exploding into life

3 Likes

What a lovely record. The sun is shining in my windows and I have a cup of tea and I’m lazing around and this is such a nice soundtrack to that

Sometimes I forget just how good Yo La Tengo are at what they do

yeah those first two songs on Electr-o-pura are the best

2 Likes

midway through this now. like a lot of YLT albums it feels a bit overwhelmingly long but otherwise enjoying the droneyness.

i really loved Ohm on Fade but the rest of the album felt a bit disappointingly dull to me, their slowcore strumming songs are usually my least favourite, much prefer their upbeat tracks, guitar freakouts or droney ones. so this has been more up my street so far.

I thought it was a given that ICHTHBAO is the best album, followed by Painful

Nah, EOP followed by ATNTIIO or possible Fd.

Probably not in my top 3

This is really nice. Some of the instrumentals remind me of pieces of Sonic Youth’s SYR series, which is no bad thing,

I listened to this while making breakfast at the weekend at it was gorgeous. Lovely Stars of the Lid style ambience too, if I am not mistaken. Really great.

YLT is a band I really should listen more of. I’ve got the middle run of “classic” albums - I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One, And The Nothing Turned Itself Inside Out, Summer Sun and I am Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass. It’s overwhelming!

OK, so at the least you should do Electr-o-pura, Fade and Painful next.

2 Likes