Yo La Tengo - 'This Stupid World' out now!

I read this last week. Loved the insight into the recording of Night Falls on Hoboken. What an incredible piece of music that is.

1 Like

Listen to this album quite a bit, and keep remembering that I’m seeing them in May. YES La Tengo

4 Likes

Got a few train/coach journeys coming up, going to have to have a re read of Big Day Coming

This is really getting even better on repeat listening.

YLT are indie rock’s version of peak Barcelona FC. The rhythm section are Xavi & Iniesta, creating space for Ira Messi to do his magic.

13 Likes

Riot is just sheer hypnotic bliss from start to finish. It’s been great company on this weeks commutes!

Just like to confirm that I had a bright, Sunday afternoon nap to the new record, and MFW this is one of the all-time great nap albums.

Plug for the fact that I got to hear Ira’s lovely voice down my telephone: "I’m always a little surprised when we make a new record": DiS Meets Yo La Tengo / In Depth // Drowned In Sound

5 Likes

I’m starting to love the new album, or at the very least sections of it. I’m only really familiar with the big three from the mid-90s, but this is making me want to go through their back catalog and see what I’ve been missing out on. For me it’s registering as a soundtrack to one of those really sad, strange dreams rather than a pleasant one.

• “For You Too” and “Here You Are” are amazing and I can’t figure out which one I love most yet.
  • I love that semi-ambient section of “Dream Dream Away” and “Shortwave”. That and “Here You Are” are the core of the sad dream sensation.
  • Putting these comments about “Esportes Casual” under a spoiler so as not to ruin the song for anyone. Anyone else been tricked a couple times into thinking the album’s been interrupted by that Spotify commercial? Also, it strangely manages to get two Green Day songs stuck in my head - “Waiting” and “2000 Light Years Away I like it though!

Put it on at work earlier and my work mate enjoyed it. I did too.

Like Low, YLT are just incredibly consistent in terms of the quality of their output…its always 8/10, often 9. I’d put this as a firm 8…lovely downtempo number with dreamy ambient textures. In terms of my favourite LP - Painful…

2 Likes

Yep, massive grower this one. ‘For You Too’ is fast becoming one of my all-time fave YLT songs.

1 Like

Brighton folk

https://twitter.com/residentmusic/status/978683953862279176

Komedia 29/8

1 Like

Ah, now, come on, they’ve surely got to be playing at Green Man this year, seeing as they’re playing EOTR and a bunch of dates around that time.

If not, I’ll be taking it as a very personal troll of the highest order.

Home straight. So excited :heart_eyes: Anyone else on a pure YLT binge?

Every day son, every day

4 Likes

Rinsing the new album right now.
Had electr-o-pura for morning dog walk.
Have some admin to finish this evening… And Then Nothing will accompany me.
Can’t wait to see them on Saturday night, which is doubling as an anniversary night away.

2 Likes

off to Dublin tonight, glancing at setlists they appear to be all over the place and a bit impossible to predict. should be interesting.

7 Likes

Nice to see a band actually using their extensive back catalogue, instead of sticking rigidly to a pre planned set list

8 Likes

Well over 100 different songs played on the current tour. That’s seriously impressive.
Enjoy tonight’s show… should be great :+1:

1 Like

Insane repertoire of covers too.

Just the best band tbh

1 Like