Yorkshire Puddings are shit

A good roast can be really great, fresh veg roasted with garlic, a nice leg of chicken with maybe a nice honey glaze, fluffy crispy spuds with plenty of salt. Stuffing can add a nice bready, slightly spicy dimension too. A nice gravy and large glass of white wine and it’s close to perfect. Absolutely no need to throw in a bit of soggy pastry, Yorkshires are so crap.

2 Likes

They’re a great example of English exceptionalism - beige mediocrity celebrated to an utterly inexplicable degree. Find them so uninteresting that the concept of a good or bad one doesn’t even really exist.

Went for a roast at my mate’s grandparents’ in Castleford when I was a teenager, and before the rest of the roast they brought out the Yorkshire Puddings and gravy on their own as a starter. They said it was “how we do it in Yorkshire” and I didn’t have any knowledge to the contrary at the time. I have literally never come across it or heard of it ever since though, despite spending a decade of my life living in Yorkshire.

7 Likes

As is well documented here, sometimes I use yorkshire puddings instead of burger buns and it’s life-changing.

I’m there RIGHT NOW

I have heard of this from my FiL’s family who are from Sheffield, but have never experienced it first hand

1 Like

I always suspected you were one of my mate’s (deceased) grandparents, and finally I have the proof.

2 Likes

This is not a Yorkshire thing. I can only suggest this was either a prank or a collective cry for help.

1 Like

Nah, reckon this is a thing, or at least was. Pretty sure my gran was in to that kind of thing, and she lived in Pontefract.

Well I’ve never heard of it and I know of ALL THE YORKSHIRE THINGS.

…alright I can’t back that up at all. Must be old school or something specific to certain bits of Yorkshire.

Love them massive plate-sized Yorkers that you get the sliced beef and veg served in though. Absolute bangers.

1 Like

Castleford and Pontefract are strange places tbf.

1 Like

fucking hell this is the worst take in the history of takes

6 Likes

bloody hell @TKC what the hell have you done!?!

Time for a long hard think about where you have ended up in life

1 Like

I love YPs (and all things batter related) but I take a hard line on anyone that thinks they should be part of their xmas dinner.

Might have to take a break from DiS for a while. Sometimes this place just takes things too far. A jokes a joke, but come on!?

6 Likes

my partner’s yorkshire grandma does this (rest of the family doesn’t). cause they were cheap and used to fill the kids up before the expensive meat came out innit.

1 Like

I sometimes have a Yorkshire pudding with hot sauce as a snack

Delicious edible bowl filled with the best meal of all time, the sunday roast

M8 you need to get a grip

British cuisine is more texture than taste when you think about it