You and the killing of insects

What we saying? Obviously only utter bastards kill bees, but how do you feel about wasps? horse-flies? mosquitos?

How does it reconcile with your overall thoughts on for instance vegetarianism/veganism? Do you view it the same as the killing of an animal? If not why not?

Anyone fucking LOVE insects? Even flies?

Big into this chat.

Best insect is of course the ant

2 Likes

I only kill mosquitoes and flies. Everything else gets evicted.

4 Likes

Hate em but I try not to kill them. Flies are fuckers though. You can’t get them to leave or anything.

2 Likes

Only kill mosquitoes. I feel this is entirely congruous with my vegetarianism, as I also do not eat the mosquitoes.

6 Likes

Spiders and spider-adjacent creatures get a free ride.
Bees and flies get (respectfully) shooed out the window.

1 Like

set the cat on them (circle of life: fine) or usher them out

7 Likes

Kill mosquitos on sight

Shoo wasps away unless it’s late in the year and they’re all dozy and more prone to sting

Try and get house flies out the window but no real hang-ups about swatting them

Everything else is cool, don’t really get anything else here, but keep standing on snails by accident :pensive:

1 Like

I know spiders aren’t technically insects but I find them every bit as creepy as insects at a base level so include them in my comments above

1 Like

Mosquitos only

2 Likes

Shoo everything out of the window/door where possible, although I have less patience with clothes moths and mosquitoes.

1 Like

Never anything for spiders to eat up here either, always finding the silly billies starved and desiccated.

1 Like

reverse engineering that, you’d not eat a cow but you’d be down fighting one to the death?

1 Like

Wife is utterly terrified of wasps so I tend to kill them as quickly as possible.

I’ll kill flies if they’re bugging me, generally don’t give a shit about them though.

Everything else gets ushered outside. There’s a sense of accomplishment about getting them outdoors safely.

This post paid for by PROF$.

1 Like

I try not to kill anything.

Wouldn’t dare kill a wasp because I fear if I tried they’d sting me, and if I succeeded more would come back in a swarm and attack me.

Spiders I never ever kill, either let them be to chill in the flat or if they have bad vibes then I’ll pop them out of the window.

I love Daddy long legs, they’re always welcome to stay.

Get ladybirds in my bedroom sometimes, again. Stay. Enjoy yourself.

Flies I hate, but I won’t kill them even though they irk me and the cat.

Are cheeselogs an insect? Must be, they’ve got loads of legs. Yeah they can stay, kept one as a pet once.

Oh actually the exception to the rule is fruit flies. Will happily leave our homemade traps and watch them suffer and drown. GOOD.

3 Likes

Way ahead of you

3 Likes

They’re crustaceans!

This post paid for by PROF$.

6 Likes

i knew someone would bring this up. WOOD. LOUSE.

11 Likes

Won’t kill ladybirds, butterflies or bees. Don’t care about killing flies, spiders, mosquitos, moths that won’t go outside etc. Only worry about killing wasps because they release pheromones which attract more wasps but I’d take great joy in killing then otherwise. I don’t value their lives at all. (Unsurprisingly I am not a vegetarian)

Saw a spider wrap a wasp in its web on Saturday and watched it slowly die which was quite interesting

2 Likes

Cause Dory is disabled and can’t leap like other cats I always feel a burst of pride when I see her eating an insect (quickly followed by feeling quite bilious at the sound)

4 Likes

never not surprising how crunchy flies are

4 Likes