You are cordially invited to Dine with DiS 🍽 🍷 SECOND ROUND #75

Better late than never!

Six gracious contestants have invited you to dinner, but who will emerge as the ultimate dinner party host? The victor from each group will face each other for a final showdown.

Vote purely based on which evening you think you would most enjoy - voting closes at 4pm. All hosts have confirmed their menu is achievable though you may harbour reasonable doubts about one…

Our first group of three:

HOST A:

Starter
Smoked salmon and scrambled eggs on sourdough. The toasted sourdough is thinly sliced, the eggs are decadent with cream and extra yolks; served with chopped chives, cracked black pepper and lemon juice.

Main
Vegetable Wellington with full roast trimmings. Puff pastry encases a rich filling of chestnuts, mushrooms and sweet potato aromatically flavoured with rosemary, thyme and sage. The crispiest of roast potatoes are complemented by caramelised shallots and chantenay carrots, lemon roasted green beans with almonds and fluffy yorkshire puddings. Served with an eight hour cooked gravy and all the condiments you could desire.

Dessert
Rhubarb and Apple Crumble. Tangy rhubarb and sweet apple underneath a deep crumble, soft yet crunchy. Topped with a choice of cream or custard.

Drinks
Cava is served before and with the starter. Choice of red or white to go with the main. Coffee served at the end, with or without cognac. There is a fully stocked drinks trolley from which we can help ourselves once the food has finished, or whenever - yes, fix me a bloody mary whilst you’re at it.

Ambience
Baby it’s cold outside - the fire is going and the drinks are flowing. This is classic friends round but make it special ambience. The candles are lit and the fairy lights are on. Yes I’m showing off but in a hearty and filling manner. No tiny portions, plenty of second helpings, and a short walk to the living room where we can digest and chat and drink more until the early hours. Someone mentioned charades - why not! Ooh, yes let’s crack out the SingStar! Go on, I’ve never heard of Munchkin, let’s play it!

HOST B:

Starter
Tapas of pork belly bites in bourbon bbq sauce. Tempura halloumi and veg with a sweet chilli jam and stuffed potato skins

Main
Build your own tacos - a range of bbq’d meats, crispy battered fish and some jackfruit with all the pickles, sauces etc etc

Dessert
Lemon posset with shortbread and a chocolate mousse

Drinks
Cocktails, virgin and alcoholic. Attractive barperson in the background making all the drinks

Ambience
Everyone gets given a onesie so you’re super comfortable and can spill food down yourself (and don’t have to worry about what to wear). Treasure hunt to entertain you before the first course. Party bags to take home. General vibe - drunk and silly. Probably a few friendly cats and dogs wandering round for pets and to eat up any of the food you didn’t like

HOST C:

Starter
On first glance, it looks like a dolls house. A small wooden house that sits in a garden served upon a plate shaped like the state of Texas (USA). Wait, what’s that? That’s not wood! No, the house is made from pastry as in fact, it is an elaborate sausage roll which has been made to look like an authentic wood cabin. In the garden, real live cress grows where the grass would be, and two ponds, one full of Heinz ketchup (I will tell people this is homemade, please don’t tell them it’s not) and one full of HP sauce. Instead of knife and fork, everyone will have a custom-made small hammer and saw with which to eat.

Main
The Hanging Gardens of Babylon featured multiple levels so that the plant life could enjoy different microclimates and the visitors could experience a wide range of different vegetation splendour in one place. Well it’s about time someone applied that to food. On the bottom layer will be a square pizza base. Across it will be a range of toppings, from pepperoni to ham & pineapple, that loops around the structure with a flavour type for everyone. On the next layer will be many mini burgers. Each one will be bite sized, and will have a slightly different burger filling in it, with no explanation as to what is what, so you’ve just got to take a risk. Example burgers are: Plain burger, Beetroot & pineapple, Mushroom burger, kimchi etc. Then on the top layer, there would be a cheese fondue sitting at the top, with bread scattered around the place to enjoy dipping into it. The centre of the garden structure would be full of tea lights, to keep it melted. Each guest has a Charles / Diana wedding memorial decorative plate.

Dessert
I’ll bet you’ve been reading this and thinking “but wait, where are the sparklers?”? Well wait no more, because right here we have “Browniegeddon”. It’s basically a brownie igloo full of cookie dough ice cream with a variety of Haribo (tell them it’s home made) scattered around the igloo. The ice cream will melt and trickle out of the entrance, and sticking out the top of the igloo will be three sparklers (one central, one either side).

Drinks
Homemade White Russian / Sidecar / Crusha milkshake (strawberry or banana only).

Ambience
The lighting (and heating) will come from a wide array of 250 candles scattered around the room and table of all different sizes and luminescence. The music will be The Gotan Project. Each guest will be given a Hawaiian lei on arrival, and asked to take their shoes off before coming inside. I will hire 3 very cute dogs for the occasion and they will be very excited to see the guests on arrival, but otherwise incredibly well behaved. I will have the Economist podast playing in the bathroom, with a variety of magazines such as Newsweek, The Economist and Time in the bathroom too (none of them more than a month out of date). There will be a Warhol-esque picture above the dining table with each corner featuring one of the guests. Instead of dining chairs, each person will have a Lay-Z-Boy and the dining table will be big enough to accommodate this. I will have 3 butlers so no-one will need to move all night unless they want to.

Vote for your preferred dinner party

• HOST A
  • HOST B
  • HOST C

0 voters

Plus some bonus ‘guess who’ polls

HOST A
  • aboynamedgoo
  • laelfy
  • ma0sm
  • Octobadger
  • pervo
  • the_ravens

0 voters

HOST B
  • aboynamedgoo
  • laelfy
  • ma0sm
  • Octobadger
  • pervo
  • the_ravens

0 voters

HOST C
  • aboynamedgoo
  • laelfy
  • ma0sm
  • Octobadger
  • pervo
  • the_ravens

0 voters

Please feel free to discuss the menus, but don’t reveal yourself just yet hosts!

The final three competitors will face off tomorrow afternoon.

1 Like

Host B is providing the only dinner party experience safe from the scourge of mushrooms (and I am very excited to eat and drink everything on their menu)

The other hosts are putting on an excellent show, tho.

4 Likes

This clinched my vote

1 Like

vegetarians shafted once again

3 Likes

This sounds great.

I’ll take a bellyfull of that, then load up on

and then just pick at twiglets

Stuffed potato skins :yum:
Also drunk and silly is one of my favourite vibes

Not keen on the economist podcast in the loo. That’s harshing my vibe tbh.

C had too many words

A I was well up for the starter, less so after that

B everything appeared excellent

an easy choice!

6 Likes

I’d be very happy to attend A’s dinner party and just have all the trimmings and no wellington for main, if they wouldn’t be offended by that.

1 Like

B had me until the onesies.

think desserts have been (relatively!) undervalued by all three hosts tbqh

4 Likes

My contribution would be:

Starter? Help yourself. Plenty of bits in the fridge.
Main? Roast chicken, big bois, all the trimmos.
Desert? Fruit pastilles lolly. Might rustle up some krackerwheat and primula
Drinks? Help yourself. Got plenty of Amstel cans in the garage.

No way is A @aboynamedgoo. His menu will be waaaaaay more complicated than that

1 Like

It really doesn’t bother me how attractive the barperson is and it shouldn’t bother you either.

1 Like

B by a distance. Loads of meat, lemon posset, cocktails, attractive barperson, onesies, drunk and silly, party bags. Fucking YES

4 Likes

You’d be too busy

1 Like

omg

:blush:

B sounds like a hell of a good time IMO

2 Likes

Sausage roll house. Say no more, I’m in.

4 Likes

B sounds good but i’m not getting into a onesie, sorry mate

A all the way