You don’t have to get to the airport two hours before a flight

My mom instilled in me at a young age that it’s important to get to the airport about 2 hours in advance of scheduled departure (for international flights). And I’m glad for that because a few years ago my girlfriend and I landed in Milan after visiting relatives in Belgium, from where we were traveling to Venice, Cinque Terre, and Rome before returning to Milan for a flight back to the US. I got us a cab to the airport where we arrived. To my surprise, they couldn’t find us in the system and it turns out there are 2 airports in Milan. Oops! Luckily a very nice cab driver took us across town very swiftly and got us to the correct airport with time to spare. Why? Because I got to the damn airport (the wrong one) at least 2 hours early.

The only time I’ve ever missed a flight (a domestic business flight) was due to lounging in the airport after arriving early morning, having a relaxed breakfast in another terminal, casually making my way over to the correct terminal, sitting down for a poo, and hearing “final boarding for flight ###” and by the time I got there it was too late. They said they tried paging me, but since I was in a different terminal I had no idea. In my early morning half-awake state I was confusing the departure time with boarding time, I guess.

1 Like

How about you eat my ass? See you an hour before the flight

Flight this afternoon at 17:20. Got into the airport at 16:55.

Turns out Norwich isn’t a very busy airport. I still had fifteen minutes to wait in the departure lounge.

Actually was shitting myself this time tbf. Had to pay a mystery ten pounds to buy a ticket to be the only person going through security.

As @jeromium described last week, this is inadvisable.

1 Like

Gate close time or flight time? If the latter that’s fine even for me. If the former lovely stuff

Flight time. Gate close was 17:05.

Oof

2 Likes

Never have strong opinions on it so happy to go when everyone does.

1 Like

What if everyone wants to go the day after the flight?

1 Like

I guess we’re all staying out for a bit.

1 Like

Love getting there early getting checked in and just chilling with some food and coffee.

Hate when the flight is then delayed and you’re in the lounge thing for 5 hours

Airports.

OY OYYYY!

1 Like

I was in Bristol airport yesterday, and from the size of the queues, I would say if you were flying Tui and had check-in baggage, you wouldn’t have made your flight within two hours. Both the flight out and the return flight were delayed by an hour or so due to various staff shortages. Cap it off with the “All passports” queue at Schiphol because of Brexit, and all in all it was the most stressful flight experience I’ve had for quite some time.

2 Likes

WHAT A SCHI-POL

(Travelling TUI next week but the flight is at 6am and no check in luggage so should be alright getting there an hour and a half before I think)

1 Like

Good luck!

(It’s at East Midlands too which is a smaller airport)

From what I’ve heard they’re asking people not to get there super early. And they call people forward so you won’t miss a flight. However, that still makes me very anxious

Dublin Airport announced today they’re considering putting in outdoor “pens” for people who arrive too early

2 Likes

They should fly them to PenIsland

6 Likes

:grimacing:

Fingers crossed things are better on Tui flights from Gatwick tomorrow morning