You ever have a job as a waiter?

I don’t like the second part of the sentence but I’ll take it

1 Like

One day under a month in retail cos I got shitcanned

an honourable answer. did you at least get shitcanned for humorous reasons?

I did a reasonable amount of silver service stuff at various Cambridge colleges. Pay was great, I think it was £4.10 an hour compared to the £3 I’d get in the kitchen, though it was shorter shifts so I still came home with about the same amount after bus fare. The people I was serving varied from rude to just completely oblivious to my presence, mostly in the latter to be fair. Was nice to have smoke breaks with co workers. I didn’t contaminate anyone’s food but did get in trouble for eating left over plates of salmon on their way to the bin

1 Like

Who do you think it is that fixes ball jams and pin-setting issues?

Used to help out with a few shifts when it was really busy but mostly worked behind the bar of a local pub/restaurant/hotel.
It was usually a laugh because the other staff were really sound. The post-shift drinks were good. Fond memories of it all tbh

SHAFT!

3 Likes

You’re a real smart alec sometimes

My shitty temp jobs were in factories and call centres.

2 Likes

Worked in a supposedly high class restaurant doing various jobs - chopping veg, washing dishes, working behind the bar, waiting. Waiting tables was definitely my least favourite job. Just didn’t/don’t have the demeanor for it and found it really boring. I was doing lunchtimes though and it was generally really quiet so that was part of the boredom.

Didn’t mind waiting tables really. Generally got on OK with customers and didn’t give enough of a shit to care when people got arsey.

Chefs and Especially front of house managers could be nobheads though.

General rule of best folk to worst at any restaurant

Bar staff
Kitchen porter
Busboy (no idea if there’s a general neutral term)
Station chef
Waiter
Head chef
Maitre d’
Owner

Cleaning staff ignored once again

Never worked at a restaurant that employed cleaning staff

1 Like

Yes,

it was horrible as i have a tremor but hey ho. Character building as my dad would say.

Not at all - find this similar to the “as a father…” line

Not really. Got lots of free cakes and into Jeff Mills though

Not directly but i did observe food being dropped in the kitchen then re-plated.

General observation is that people are scum to waiting staff, and even more so when the staff are peckers. Really disheartening. Had a better time working in a student bar than i did with the general public in a cafe.

absolutely not.

nope.

nope.

yep.

What does this mean?

Young!

Oh, right. I have never heard of that term before.

One for the ‘Things you were slow to realise’ thread, I think…

Yeah maybe, not sure if its a brummie thing or not - just a general term for a young 'un

Poll!

• I use pecker to refer to young people (teens)
  • I use pecker to refer to a willy (snigger)
  • Pecker is not an everyday word for me
  • dunno what this is for, not sure i’ve given 4 options before

0 voters