You turned the heating on at home yet? [and other general heating chat]

We had one in our old flat, tbf it did fill up with water at an alarming rate but idk if it did much to help.

1 Like

I was getting mould in the bathroom because I had to shut the window when going out for work in the morning after having a shower.

Now Iā€™ve cleared that and repainted the ceiling, and whack the dehumidifier on in the hall for a couple of hours when I leave in the morning, I also use it when I dry clothes in the flat.

Seems to make a difference, and itā€™s quite nice to walk into a dehumidified room, itā€™s a sensation I canā€™t quite describe. ā€œDryā€ would probably be the most appropriate word.

1 Like

That does sound bloody nice in fairness

Iā€™m always either freezing cold or overly warm. Put the heaters on but then feel too stuffy and start sneezing. Played around with the temperatures but found no solution. Best i can do is time them to come on for hour-long blasts (about 19Ā°) just before i wake up, come home and go to bed.

Theyā€™re bloody expensive, though. Our electricity bills go up from around Ā£1.50 a day during spring/summer to about Ā£4 a day during autumn/winter, or at least were before i was #MANAGING it.

1 Like

Still got my bedroom window open overnight atm. Use the heating for maybe a week per year if that

is this with storage heaters? we only moved into our flat in February so had them on for a couple of weeks before turning them off, and jfc they were a pain in the arse; the one in our bedroom kept letting heat out at like 3am even if we had the output on zero. not looking forward to that again tbh.

Are you in a newbuild flat?

We had our storage heaters replaced last year. Until then it was costing us anywhere up to about Ā£160 a month to heat a flat, which was fucking obscene. We knew people who live on the same street who have much bigger houses and were on the same tarriffs, etc, yet were paying half as much.

Sadly, thereā€™s no gas where we live, but since we got modern electric heaters fitted weā€™ve noticed a big difference. As i say, from about February to September it probably cost less than Ā£50 a month, which is fine. Still think around Ā£900 a yearā€™s a bit much, butā€¦

Storage heaters are a pain in the arse if you have allergies. Iā€™m a year-round sniffler. Itā€™s basically just an encased breezeblock caked in years of dust. Really not good.

Relatively new I think, yeah, and first floor and the big window gets a lot of sun

fucking hell :confused:

do you walk around in a t-shirt and shorts in december?

Ours has been on for ages- even in the height of summer (that two-day window we had in June) the house never really got hot (high ceilinged victorian stone thing- right on the clyde so a bit draughty, even with the storm doors shut over.) the heating is on a thermostat though so itā€™s not just blaring all the time.

I think I need to look into better draught excluders and thick curtains.

Previous occupants were a bit fancy shmansy and they put in underfloor heating in the bathroom which Iā€™ve only managed to work out the once, and it made my feet feel clammy so I switched it off.

Turned it on last night for the first time as had got back from a weekā€™s holiday (Greece - was great, thanks for asking) and the house was chilly. I would have it on about 10% of the amount of time the TV likes it on, but she always claims that it has to be on for the benefit of the kids (it doesnā€™t - small children are like furnaces, they never seem to get cold).

Flat I used to live in had communal (ie free) heating throughout the building, which made for nice cheap gas bills (basically only what you used through the hobs). The previous tenants were Lithuanian, and when we moved in in the middle of August they had the heating on full. Must have been about 35c inside :+1:

Yeah, toasty warm.

We were in a small flat surrounded by others on all sides, and we never had to put the heating on at all.

Moving to the Bahamas?

Sadly not! Same situation as Aggpass.

Timer settings: comes on 30 mins before getting up and 30 mins before arriving home from work.

had lovely gas heating in my last house but have just moved to a place with oil heating again (weā€™re a bit behind the times here, and househunting was a struggle so i couldnā€™t be too fussy about things like this)

finally got an oil delivery the other day but the landlord has told us to get an engineer out to check something before we turn it on. been getting a bit chilly a few nights recently and could do with having it turned on for an hour or so here and there. will try to be frugal with it seeing as itā€™s more of a pain the arse to get it going than gas.

All the time and on earlier than would otherwise have been because of elderly cat who canā€™t really manage stairs anymore so he doesnā€™t get to sleep in our bed anymore :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

I have gone one step further and got a whole new boiler installed. We reckon the old one was installed late 90s and has been steadily dying through age and gunk in the system. To the point where filling up the bath required a trickle of water so it remained hot and the addition of a few kettles of water. We didnā€™t dare try the heating. The new one is amazing, a thermostat I think is going to be a revelation. Obviously it has been far too warm to put the heating on other than testing, but water that is not only warm but hot - too hot! - I shall never take for granted again.

1 Like