Young Jesus

Such an amazing band, last 3 albums have been great. They’ve slowly picked up a great psychedellic/jazzy/ jammy edge that really sets them out from basically anyone now in indie rock. Magicians, the last track of the new record is the best thing I’ve heard this year

Their first couple of albums are decent too but are basically a different band (no shared members). They fit in really well with The Hotelier/ the emo revival in general.

4 Likes

Just been listening to this today. Really enjoying it, thank you!

1 Like

Yeah, this is great, thanks for bringing it up, I probably wouldn’t have tried again if you hadn’t. That autotune effect that made me dismiss it lasts for like all of 20 seconds, maybe I should actually pay attention while listening to albums.

Lots of moments that are like if you cross U.F.O.F. style Big Thief with Building Nothing Out of Something style Modest Mouse.

The closer Magicians is incredible. Some of the best lyrics of the year too.

3 Likes

Came here to post this. If a dog had six bollocks, it would be vinyl and cd copies of this and their preceding two albums.

1 Like

Bought this album for pennies from Rarewaves. It’s absolutely gorgeous. Love it.

3 Likes

It’s excellent isn’t it? On balance probably my favourite of last year. Glad people seem to be discovering it slightly more

1 Like

When exactly did it come out originally? I thought it was last year but the Pitchfork review is August 2020.

It was 2020

1 Like

probably should have bought it myself too, oops! do think i preferred their last album before CB as not sure the autotune quite works for their music for me, but clearly doing cool interesting stuff

1 Like

They’ve quite a few more stripped down albums on their bandcamp page, I think they’ve done about six.

Yep 2020 sounds right, I’d forgotten it’s January

1 Like

Still available I think

That auto tune is only on a few minutes of the first track I think (and I don’t mind it anyway).

I’ve just ordered a copy of the previous album so I’ll do a compare and contrast. If it’s as good as Conceptual Beach I’ll be happy.

It’s quite different. Very much more guitar focused. Gulf is a monster.

1 Like

What a great find! Have also nabbed a copy, thank you!

1 Like

There are some ridiculous bargains on that site - free postage too. I’ve just bought the Anna B Savage album on limited coloured vinyl for £13. It’s a nightmare to search though, it’s pure luck if you find something.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on the new one? It’s taken me a few spins but I absolutely love it now

Another beautiful record

1 Like

Yeah I think it’s beautiful, sat with it on watching the sea yesterday and that felt about right.

If I had a comment it’s that it maybe feels a bit like he’s learning the ropes of the style and that sone of the tracks maybe lack sone confidence. That just makes me more excited for the next one though.

In the last few months I’ve also done a dive into their early records and honestly they are incredible too. I’d rank them up there with the best discographies of the last decade

2 Likes

Yep, enjoyed it so far (and I was far more of a fan of the earlier guitar based stuff). Sort of mixed it up with the limited release from earlier in the year to make a full length LP.

3 Likes

I’m loving the album. I don’t really know his older stuff, but I’ve been playing this album repeatedly. So many lovely interesting sounds on it. It’s quickly become a favourite of the year for me.

2 Likes

I wasn’t sure at first but it finally clicked tonight.

Rose Eater is one of the most beautiful songs of the year, it’s magical. Reminds me a lot of Year of Hibernation era Youth Lagoon in some ways, but with a much more full sound obviously.

2 Likes