Your device history: portable music players (feat. nostalgia)

That first Sanyo walkman is beautiful, what a wonderful design. Not seen one of those before.

4 Likes

Yeah, it was great, barely bigger than an actual cassette and the very first portable music device that had all the controls on a ā€˜remoteā€™ that you plugged your headphones into. Sounded amazing too

1 Like

I canā€™t remember all the devices Iā€™ve had but I do know that my first ā€œWalkmanā€ was a WH Smiths own-brand one. Donā€™t think you can get much cheaper than that!

I used to have walkmans and portable CD players, but my first foray into the world of the mp3 player was this 32MB beauty ā€¦

419ZZJ2KCVL.AC_SY355

The Diamond Rio, you could fit 12 short songs on there at a push

Why would you buy a cassette player that doesnā€™t let you play Limp Bizkit?

Iā€™m afraid I bought it in 97/98 so my answer is essentially ā€˜I was not preparedā€™

1 Like

Itā€™s dusty, but still obviously brilliant

4 Likes

Very similar history to the rest of you, except for this bad boy that I used to strut around carrying at the super cool Red Cross away weekends I went to (this isnā€™t mine but one I spotted at Brixton Market):

7 Likes

like fuck am I gonna google everything but the best thing I had is obviously this:

Could hold about 11/12 songs so I had to be really diligent about what I chose, and rotated often. Loved it.

3 Likes

Creative zen was the one

6 Likes

ā€œyeah itā€™s not a problem, Iā€™ll just screw the pixels back in see. Donā€™t worry I know exactly what Iā€™m doingā€

3 Likes

The iPod Gen5 was genuinely brilliant and I am still gutted I lost mine in a park and never replaced it. Have thought about getting a used one for years.

Aiwa Walkman. canā€™t remember the model.
Upgraded to a Pioneer one that had things like an in-line remote but it was never as good. Again canā€™t recall the model.
My First Sony Walkman that was cheap and indestructible. Still have it and use it plugged into my Sonos.

2nd gen iPod. Canā€™t remember the size of the hard drive but I loved it so much, made me genuinely happy.
iPod touch. Canā€™t recall what gen but early I guess. Again made me really happy.

Iā€™d still like an iPod touch, wish they were like Ā£100 but canā€™t justify having one in addition to a phone.

1 Like

Think thatā€™s the best looking Walkman Iā€™ve ever seen. Havenā€™t still got it have you?

1 Like

OMactualG, this was a thing?

1 Like

canā€™t remember the names of what Iā€™ve had

what was that little square one that used SD cards?

there were probably a few like this, but the one I had was particularly popular amongst nerds like us

Had a VERY similar journey to you but struggling to remember exact models

oh, it was a Sansa Clip!

sansa-clip-8

(^not me)

left mine on a train to Mytholmroyd, heart still pines for it (and all the tunes on the 64gb SD card). great sound, lovely to use. perfect.

2 Likes

I donā€™t think so, though it is possible that itā€™s in a box somewhere in the basement

1 Like

I had one of these and my love for it is hard to put into words. Although SonicStage was an absolute horror show.

1 Like