Your favourite albums of the 1970s

For reasons that are too geeky to really go in to, a couple of years ago I spent about 9 months pretty much listening to nothing but albums from 1975. Hadn’t really listened to much 70s music besides the really obvious before that and I ended up getting really into it, so what started as a kind of fun experiment turned into more of a mild obsession. Anyway, never thought I’d be talking about this outside of the pub conversation where it started, but as everyone’s knocking out big lists of great 70s records, here’s the top 50 or so albums from 1975 I liked the most (and there were a LOT more!). Didn’t include the really big hitters (so no Blood On The Tracks, Horses, Born To Run etc.) and if an artist put out more than one album that same year, have included them all together. All of these are genuinely great. Not in any order, but the top 10-15 were my favourites.

Fela Ransome Kuti & Africa 70 - He Miss Road / Monkey Banana / Expensive Shit / Everything Scatter / Noise From Vendor Mouth / Excuse-O / Ikoyi Blindness / Alagbon Close
Brian Eno – Another Green World / Discreet Music // Fripp & Eno - Evening Star
Miles Davis – Agharta / Pangaea
Bernard Parmegiani – De Natura Sonorum
Parliament – Mothership Connection / Chocolate City // Funkadelic - Let’s Take It To The Stage
Big Star – 3rd
King Tubby

• King Tubby & Bunny Lee – King Tubby Presents The Roots Of Dub / Dub From The Roots
• King Tubby Meets The Aggrovators At Dub Station
• King Tubby And The Aggrovators ‎– Shalom Dub
• Bunny Lee & King Tubby Present Tommy McCook And The Aggravators ‎– Brass Rockers
• King Tubby & Jacob Miller - E E Saw Dub
• Rupie Edwards All Stars – Dub Basket
• King Tubby & The Morwells – Dub Me
• King Tubby & Augustus Pablo - Ital Dub
• Observer All Stars And King Tubbys ‎– Dubbing With The Observer

Philippe Besombes & Jean-Louis Rizet – Besombes/Rizet / Philippe Besombes – Libra (Un Film Du Groupe Pattern)
Dion – Born To Be With You
Keith Hudson - Flesh of My Skin: Blood Of My Blood / Torch Of Freedom / Pick A Dub
Arti & Mestieri ‎– Giro Di Valzer Per Domani
Clearlight - Forever Blowing Bubbles / Clearlight Symphony
Don Cherry – Brown Rice
The Prophets - Conquering Lion
Kraftwerk – Radio-Aktivität
Takehisa Kosugi – Catch-Wave
Errol Thompson

• Jimmy Radway & The Fe Me Time All Stars‎ – Dub I
• Joe Gibbs & The Professionals ‎– African Dub - All Mighty
• Impact All Stars - Randy’s Dub
• Skin, Flesh & Bones - Fighting Dub

Harmonia – Deluxe
Lula Côrtes & Zé Ramalho – Paêbirú
Jacob Miller - Who Say Jah No Dread (The Classic Augustus Pablo Sessions) / Tenement Yard]
Van Der Graaf Generator – Godbluff // Peter Hammill – Nadir’s Big Chance
Sam Dees - The Show Must Go On
Dennis Brown – Just Dennis
Steve Kuhn – Trance / Ecstasy
Curtis Mayfield - (There’s Nothing Like) America Today
Destroy All Monsters - Greatest Hits
Milton Nascimento – Minas
Minnie Riperton - Adventures In Paradise
Franco Battiato ‎– M.elle Le “Gladiator”
Ernest Hood – Neighbourhoods
Magical Power Mako ‎– Super Record
Franco Falsini – Cold Nose
WITCH - Lazy Bones!!!
Amanaz - Africa
Rob Thomsett - Yaraandoo
Joe Higgs - Life Of Contradiction
Eroc – Eroc // Grobschnitt - Jumbo
The Trees Community - The Christ Tree
Bullet (Alan Tew) - The Hanged Man OST
Alex - That’s The Deal
Mummi Kutoo – Mummi Kutoo
The Green Arrows – Chipo Chirorwa
Burning Spear - Marcus Garvey
Manuel Göttsching - Inventions for Electric Guitar
New Direction Unit ‎– Eclipse / April Is The Cruellest Month
George Brigman ‎– Jungle Rot
Debron – Brast Bron
I.P. Son Group – I.P. Son Group
Tangerine Dream – Rubycon / Ricochet
Haruomi Hosono ‎– Tropical Dandy
Neu - Neu '75
Cluster - Zuckerzeit
Klaus Schulze - Timewind / Picture Music
Popol Vuh – Aguirre / Das Hohelied Salomos / Einsjäger & Siebenjäger
Simply Saucer – Cyborgs Revisited

7 Likes

Some really great posts here and plenty for me to look up from what’s already my favourite decade for films (something must have been in the air, eh?) but I don’t think anyone’s mentioned one of my favourites:

Warren Zevon’s self-titled 1976 album, produced by Jackson Browne. Zevon was an alcoholic wild man rockstar, so far so normal. The difference was that he was trained on the piano by Stravinsky and was capable of writing blackly funny, beautiful and searingly honest songs seemingly at will. He’d made one stab at an album before, the shaky no-budget ‘Wanted, Dead or Alive’ but it made no impression.

The greats around LA were convinced he was one of the best song writers of his generation, though, and more or less banded together to help him achieve his vision. That’s why this album is so SO 70s. It features the aforementioned Jackson Browne, Lindsay Buckingham, Phil Everly, Don Henley and Glenn Frey from the Eagles, Stevie Nicks, Carl Wilson, etc, all seamlessly cohered in the background.

The result is, for me, the finest LA singer songwriter album. Hell-Raising and tender in equal measure, there are so many wonderful touches (the opening piano riff is revisited in the final song to make everything feel whole, for example, and the final track ends with Zevon alone, broke in an LA rooming house, listening to the air conditioner hum. He hums the tune it’s making and then a full orchestral rendering of it sweeps in, in one of my favourite song moments ever - showing us the power of the artist to transform the sadness and drabness of their surroundings into beauty - it ALWAYS picks me up).

Zevon’s career was wild after this - he made some stunning records and some stinkers, but he did finally get sober and, for a time, happy. His 1976 album’s untouchable though.

2 Likes

Tease

1 Like

Worst decade for music since the fifties, all told.

Listening to Sparks’ Propaganda for the first time today, sounds really good (have never listened to Sparks before)

Also listened to Pink Moon for the first time yesterday, approximately 15 years after I first head of it. Wow.

1 Like

Propaganda is superb - on reflection I probably should have had it on my list instead of Kimono My House. Also the best cover of any record ever.

1 Like

Also No 1 in Heaven (from 1979) should have been on my list too.

I’m tired and lazy so i’m just gonna ADORE the fact that the person that started this thread had Hejira from Joni Mitchel there <3

AntoLovesPiano

1 Like

One of my all-time top ten, never mind the decade.

1 Like