Your Favourite Guitar Players

In the light of some of the discussion in HGATR Jimi Hendrix I was wondering which guitar players people liked and why.

I don’t play guitar and have no musical ability or knowledge so I have no idea if guitarists I like are considered technically good.

Anyway a couple that spring to mind are Maybelle Carter and Elliott Smith.

I think in both of these examples the guitar playing is quite structural if that makes sense?

1 Like

Probably of the last few years Dave Harrington of Darkside.

1 Like

Of the ‘less fancy’ guitarists, I’ve always really liked Graham Coxon’s style. Interesting chord shapes and very percussive.

As an aside, I also really like Alex James’ bass playing. Especially in this video. Great video.

8 Likes

James Dean Bradfield - very underrated. And, of course, Johnny Marr.

5 Likes

Eddie Hazel. Joined Parliament/Funkadelic at 17 and was one of the key components of their sound for their first trio of records (and sporadically afterwards as well as doing some stuff with the Temptations). Not only a key player in funk he was also a blinding psych rock guitarist, as evidenced by the whole of Maggot Brain. Probably my favourite guitarist of all.

5 Likes

Does Sting play guitar? If so him

2 Likes

Durst.

6 Likes

Just Lute I think.

1 Like

Fripp.
The original plank-spanker

Greg ginn for solos
D boon on rhythm
Justin broadrick to make it sound evil

4 Likes

Billy Corgan
Dave Gilmour
J Mascis
Annie Clark
Jonny Greenwood

Emma Anderson
Justin Beck
Bob Mould

Regardless of how much I listen to him these days…Tom Morello is always the one who jumps into my head when i hear this question. Was absolutely obsessed with him when i was learning to play and still think he stands up as one of the best

John Frusciante
Kim Thayil
Neil Young

3 Likes

Angus Young. Pure energy.

Yes!

4 Likes

For me it has to be Richard Dawson. I’ve watched this too many times!

4 Likes

Good shout: He Thought of Cars, Bugman, Go Out, Coffee & TV. So many tracks made great by his unique approach.

3 Likes

Dave Longstreth from Dirty Projectors, Tim Collins from TTNG and Annie Clark/St Vincent are all lovely to watch.

1 Like

Ivan ‘Boogaloo Joe’ Jones
Roddy Frame
Annie Clark
Anna Calvi
Jason Victor (Dream Syndicate / Steve Wynn)